Henna on beach

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
pinksiva
Henna on beach

Hello All,

Wanted to know if anyone can give me pointers on how to go about having henna booth at the beach? Do I need contract with the state? What should I look out for,ect. Any help will be appricated. Thanks in advance...

~ in love and in light ~

pinksiva

Jen
Re: Henna on beach

Requirements vary greatly depending on your locality. Some states require a biz permit. Other's do not. Some cities or counties require one. You may need a certificate of insurance. You may even need to charge sales tax! Check with your local chamber of commerce or small biz association.

pinksiva

Hi Jen,

Thanks for those pointers. Gives me something to start at. Some of the beaches here have boardwalk and I'm assuming one would need a permit to have a booth on the boardwalk..

Thank you again,

Pinksiva

Heather

Here in Rhode Island, you do indeed need a special state permission/blessing to set up shop at all at the beaches...which involves contract bidding with all the other vendors who want to vend at the beach...soooo, much to the dismay of my new henna artist friend who just moved back to the area from southern California, there is no henna on the beaches in RI. Del's Lemonade and other such giant corporate things are pretty much what you'll find.

My guess is that if you *think* you need a contract with the state to set up at the beach.........you very possibly might.

Your best bet is probably to ask one of the other vendors what it took for *them* to set up at the beach............ although they may or may not be too inclined to tell you, and most likely they have some teenager who doesn't know much about the ins and outs of running the business manning the shop for close to minimum wage.

Generally you can learn a lot through researching with the proper authorities at every level of government involved with the beach in question (note: it may take 10 phone calls and some written followup to each office to actually get anything close to a proper answer to your question....and even then it may still be wrong info from a gov't hack, unless you get it in writing from a legal authority, complete with legal reference number).

All of this applies to setting up anywhere, really. But beaches, at least around here, seem to be more highly regulated (and subject to gov't contracts and hence bidding wars) than just about anywhere else.