Glitter/sealant

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Glitter/sealant

I've heard that putting glitter on wet henna paste helps to seal it, has anyone found this too be true?  Or does it just make it look pretty?

Also, would it be a bad idea to use glitter and then sealant (lemon-sugar spray)?

I don't think I'll have much of an issue with henna sticking now that it's summer, but when I did henna last Eid, it all dried and fell off within a too short amount of time (despite adding extra sugar).

Thanks!

Jen
Re: Glitter/sealant

I find I have less smudging when I add glitter. Whether that is because it helps people be more mindful of their henna when its all sparkly or whether its because it protects the damp surface so that light touches that would usually cause a smudge glance off -I don't really know. I just know that it helps! I don't think it does the same thing as a seal though, which is to hold paste to skin longer and make it more flexible so it will bend and stretch a bit when you move.

If your paste was cracking and falling off too soon, you need even more sugar! Keep going. A lemon sugar, spray hair gel, or even school glue and water seal can prevent that too, but personally I find seals to be more of a pain in the bum than they're worth. You can get enough sugar in there in order to prevent the cracking and to make the dry paste elastic enough to stretch a bit with skin.

Lately I only use lemon sugar with brides who expect it.

Nicole

Awesome, thanks!  I'm hoping to do the local farmerss market this year, so just trying to figure out the best way to go about it!  I'm thinking I'll bring both glitter and sealant the first few times and see which I use more/which has better results.  I did a couple designs on myself the other day and didn't use any sealant like you suggested, and they mostly stayed on overnight (no wrapping or socks either), so I'll probably be fine without sealant!

As for adding more sugar, I found the paste got really gummy and gross if I did that, after that day, the next event I did I brought my spray and it did just fine!

Jen

Go with whatever works for you! Everybody's different. About seal at outdoor events though... if you live in an area with lots of bees, you may want to choose something other than lemon sugar or you will have bees in your booth!

keltoi28

Never thought about attracting bees. :-p