A Big Reminder of Why I Use Henna

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
amyhenna
A Big Reminder of Why I Use Henna

My stepdaughter just got here, which is GREAT! I hardly ever get to see her since she started college last fall.

Today, she brought with her a reminder for me of why I use henna. She dyed her hair yesterday with Garnier Fructis. She actually dyed it a henna-y color, which is very pretty, but THE CHEMICALS are pouring off of her. I have taken refuge upstairs to write this. I think I'm going to go for a bike ride. I can smell it from up here now (I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity).

This was actually good, because it shows me that although I've gotten WAY better in the past two years, I'm nowhere near healthy enough to use chemical hair dye, and based on what I'm going through right now, I am reminded that no matter how healthy I ever become, I will never put my body through what those chemical hair dyes to do the system. My throat is hurting from it from up here. I am going for a bike ride now.

Just wanted to share my reaffirmation of love for henna.

inconditus
Re: A Big Reminder of Why I Use Henna

Thanks for the comment, Amy. I haven't dyed my hair with henna but this reminded me of when I tried to apprentice for cosmetology at an aveda salon. I thought "Oh aveda is supposed to be all natural so maybe I can get a job here." I could only work for a few days before I started to feel sick even with it being "botanical based" :cough: I felt dizzy and like I was going to throw up from the smell. Even if something is mostly natual that small percentage of chemicals makes a huuuuuuuggee difference.  

amyhenna

Are you considering using henna?

My condolences on the salon experience. I give you credit for lasting a few days :-)

inconditus

I've thought about it. My husband is/was super against me dying my hair since whenever I try I get an insane migraine and fry my hair to no end =/. I've finally been able to convince him that if I use henna he won't have to deal with me complaining about my horrible decisions though :)

How long does it last? I have medium brown hair, I would really just "dye" it to even it out. halfway down I still have tints from when I tried dying it lavendar for an anime convention. Worst [hair] decision ever.

xyz

hello inconditus,

Lots of people "arrive" to henna for health reasons, some because they've reacted to chemical dyes and some because they like the idea of using something that is really natural.  Sensitivities are rare, but if you decide to use plant dyes, remember to do an allergy "patch test" beforehand.  It's just a good idea any time you're trying something new. 

Henna is permanent.  Good quality, pure henna (if correctly prepared) does not fade.  Look for "Body Art Quality" henna for best results.  Most henna users experience more manageable hair, less frizz, the sensation of having "stronger" or "thicker" strands, fewer flyaways and split ends---and super shine!  The henna shine is just amazing.

To make a medium brown color, you would have to mix henna, which gives an orange/red dye, with indigo or buxus (plants that give a blue/green dye).  Indigo is darker and more permanent.  Buxus is a little less dark and tends to fade in 3-4 weeks.  It's favored by people who want a "warmer" (more reddish) brown and/or prefer to have a little more freedom to change their minds (once you use indigo, you cannot highlight/use bleach/peroxide...it'll revert to green).  Indigo is best if you want medium-to-dark brown or black, a little less red coming through, no "going over" treatments to refresh the shade, and if you know you won't want to go lighter in the near future.

To see how henna (or "hendigo" or "henbux", the mixes described above) will cover your lavender, you'd have to do a strand test.  If you haven't yet, read the FAQ section of this page.  It has lots of info on preparing the henna, mixing for specific shades, strand testing, applying, etc.)  Look also for the "mixes" page on hennaforhair.com and mehandi.com to see colors people have created by mixing different plant dyes. 

amyhenna

Hi inconditus,

I didn't know if you saw the following post, but I thought you might be interested in it, based on the reactions she used to have with other dyes vs. the reaction she has to plants (none!)

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/2649

There are so many of us that are so fortunate to have found the plant dyes.

inconditus

xyz,

My hair is mostly natural now. The ends in the front have a bit of orangish tint to them from sun, dye resdue or probably the iron in well water =P I don't know but I woudl just want a darkish but not uber dark brown. I don't change my color that much and I def. don't go lighter next time I try to do anything funky I will just buy clip ons :)

I'm hopefully heading up to Empire this weekend and I will ask them about it. Hopefully I can use the same on my hair as on my body. I haven't tried indigo yet but that was on my 'stuff to play with" list anyways :)