Drying, Grinding, and making into paste my own henna plant

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
zaudika
Drying, Grinding, and making into paste my own henna plant

So, about a month ago I bought three of my own henna plants.  They have grown *beautifully* in the climate here in Florida and I'm looking at harvesting some of my first leaves.  :)  

Does anyone have any experience drying and making their own Henna powder?  Or know a good resource I could review?  

Thank you! :)

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Drying, Grinding, and making into paste my own henna plant

You can make a paste from fresh leaves by grinding it, straining the pulp, and mixing with a bit of okra and lemon juice. This is tedious and unwieldy, but it works.

When the branches are well leafed out, harvest the twigs by pruning.  Allow these twigs to dry in the shade, hung up in the air if you can mange (like bundles of herbs). When the leaves are dry, strip the leaves from the twigs.  Allow the leaves to dry further. Pick through that for bugs, dirt and damage.  Crush the leaves. 

Use a vertical mill to grind the leaves.  Grind and sift several times until the powder is as fine as you can get it.  Sift it through the finest ceramic sifer you can find. Make a paste and strain it through the toe of a stocking, because it will be virtually impossible to mill and sift it as fine as needed with your own equipment for body art use. You will lose a lot or a little in that straining, depending on how you did with the mill and the sifter.

zaudika

okra?  really?  I had no idea that henna had any okra in it.  Is this to thin it slightly and give it more substance? 

CCartwrightJones
admin

Okra is a relatively unusual additive to henna.  http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/stoneground/