Healthy for nails?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Samus419
Healthy for nails?

I know henna makes your hair healthy, but does it help skin and nails?

My new job has me wearing latex (or equivalent) gloves for almost the whole 8 hours that I'm there and now my nails are splitting from all the moisture.  An upper layer of the nail tries to pull away from the lower layers.  I've been keeping my nails REALLY short in hopes to prevent breakage or injury, but I need a real fix.  I'm thinking about taking "hair, skin and nails" vitamins.

Samus419
Re: Healthy for nails?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.  It's not me, but might help:

3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q3BXIwX1VKg/TAZq4WMFt4I/AAAAAAAAAPI/QdPypjzsB_o/s1600/Picture7.jpg

ACWN

I've used henna on my nails a couple times because mine tend to split in an odd manner - I'm thinking in the same way you're describing. ETA: Yeah, in the way you're describing, though not that bad.

I just use the henna I'd mixed for my hair (with tea, no terps) and applied it heavily to my nails for as long as I could stand - about an hour I think. It actually really helped my nails, they're a little thicker and stronger. But I also frequently cut and file my nails to keep them from getting too long, as well as buffing them, which also greatly helps make them thicker.

Check your local Target, Kmart or even Walmart if you have one near you and look in the nail care section... you'll want to look for a little foam block with a different colored panel on each side... one side sands, one smooths, one buffs and one polishes. If you sand and smooth about once a month, it will help thicken your nails. If you do it too often though, it can make them much thinner and hurt you more than help you.

Also, just to mention (I read your other post about the nail recipe) - henna cannot provice a crayon red sortve red.

Jen

Yes, henna is good for nails and helps to make them stronger!

Carrie

It also fights nail fungus! I've only done my toenails but it really made them thick and smooth. Too bad I didn't like the color against my pink skin. You probably know this, but it's completely permanent color - and it takes 6 months to grow out a toenail, faster for a fingernail.