Any shampoos,conditioners,products you can't use after dyeing?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
NubianPrize
Any shampoos,conditioners,products you can't use after dyeing?

I have some shampoos I've been using regularly: a shikakai shampoo bar,Carol's Daughter rosemary mint shampoo & conditioner, & CURLS shampoo. The rosemary mint is supposed to remove daily toxins & product build up. Is it too clarifying? The ingredients are :

Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Acrylates/Aminoacrylates/C10-30 Alkyl PEG-20 Itaconate Copolymer, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Algae Extract, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Melilotus Officinalis (Sweet Clover) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, PEG-150 Distearate, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate, Caramel, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum)

Also,what about ayurvediuc oils & powders. I've been using amla,shikakai,brahmi,etc for growth & conditioning. Are there any products/ingredients to avoid like the plague?

kcr
Re: Any shampoos,conditioners,products you can't use after ...

I think a lot of it has to do with your particular hair and what it likes and doesn't, and your local water supply. 

Some people have had bad experiences with certain shampoos, but others do fine with the same shampoos.  It really just depends, so use what works for you.

I don't think there is anything that is an absolute "do *not*", except "do not use bleach on indigo or buxus unless you like green/blue hair."

Lavendark

With all those different ingredients listed in your shampoo it's hard to tell which one would cause a problem if any. I use Aubrey Organics shampoo and it seems to work really well. Plus, the ingredients are ones I recognize. I tend to shy away from shampoos that have a lot of fancy chemical names. I figure since the henna is pure, so should my entire hair care regiment.

One thing I do know from making my own lotions is that the ingredients listed at the beginning are the ones that are of the largest quantity in the product, if this helps. I would do a little research online on some of the ingredients you don't know, just to be on the safe side. 

NubianPrize

I wondered about the long list of ingredients,too, so I'll check out those ingredients. I've only used the rosemary combo once since dyeing my hair & that was yesterday.In the future I'll  use it only  if I have a lot of buildup & when it's gone,not get any more. Last week after dyeing I used CURLS shampoo. I'd used that before & it works very well.Another good shampoo is real honest to God African Black soap. I also like the shikakai bar. Leaves my hair soft,clean & feeling conditioned. Will have to try that Aubrey organics shampoo.I've used the honeysuckle rose conditioner & like it a lot.

mauhall

cosmeticsdatabase.com is a great website to reference when you have concerns about a product.  Some companies will be listed with a toxicity rating of their products.  If you don't see the brand you are using on there, then you can look up the individual ingredients instead. (that is a bit of a pain!)

Out of curiosity, I looked up Carol's Daughter.  They have 16 products evaluated.  Interestingly, the rosemary mint shampoo had a completely different ingredient list then the one you provided.  Sometimes, a product will be reformulated and the review will be the older or newer version.  The ingredient list they showed was much less toxic then the product you currently have.  There  were a couple of questionable ingredients, but overall a low toxicity rating.

With the ingredient list you provided, there are many hazardous ingredients (propylene glycol, methylisothiazolinane are just a couple).  I am not familiar with CURLS, but I know Aubrey is a line that uses mild, non-toxic ingredients.  They have quite a few choices in shampoos, so you may find one you like.

Health aside, these ingredients are also not the best for the condition of your hair.  Detergents, alcohols, and other chemicals can be very stripping and abrasive to the hair.  They may not remove the henna, but they could negate the conditioning benefits of it.

kcr

Take any info off cosmeticdatabase with a grain of salt.

According to them, henna is "a moderate to high hazard depending on usage."

Jen

Well, that's because some of the research they reference, confused henna with henna-labeled ppd ridden dyes. That particular resource does tend to ere on the side of caution... and unnecessary paranoia in some cases. Just the same, its a good starting place when trying to investigates the contents of your bottle.

kcr

Well, you can check, but they do the same thing to every ingredient that they do to henna.

Henna is safe.  That leads me to believe that most of the other ingredients they have flagged are just as safe.  Why would they be right about all ingredients *except* henna?

They flag as risk everything that anyone has *ever* mentioned as being a danger, with or without evidence.  In my mind, that is not helpful, it is paranoia inducing.

So I will ignore the site.  It has Clairol Loving Care Black hair color as being as safe or safer than plain, unadulterated Lawsonia.  They lost my trust right there.

Your mileage may vary, and that is fine.  I am speaking strictly for myself.

mauhall

Wow, KCR, that is interesting to know.  I've often felt the site was a good way to determine if a product was a less toxic choice based on the ratings.  I agree, that they put higher risk scores on some items unnecessarily, and I always assumed their criteria for doing so was based on certain standards that don't apply to the consumer (i.e... a  product may have a higher risk for a worker in a plant that manufacturers the chemical, versus the minute amount added to a product) ...

It can also be confusing when they say that henna itself has a moderate hazard score (5), but when they rate a brand (i.e... coastal creations henna or light mountain which claim to be only henna), the overall rating is a low risk (1).

But I am very surprised to hear about their low rating on Clairol hair color.  That is very disturbing.  I would rather think that an item I am interested in has an unnecessarily high rating and then make my decison as to whether I'd like to use it, rather than assume a low rating is good, and risk getting something I didn't bargain for!

Thanks for sharing that info.  It's very eye opening!  :)

kcr

It sounds to me like the *idea* behind the site is good, but they just went overboard and counted every single concern anyone ever had, regardless of its worthiness.

They didn't give the Clairol a good rating, necessarily--they gave it a 5, which is pretty bad.  But they gave plain henna 5-8, depending on the use.  An 8 is *really* bad.

I remember a post on the old forums where someone posted a link to a study in Europe that claimed henna was so dangerous it should be banned.  Turned out the study was funded by a cosmetics company and they were force-feeding massive amounts of henna to pregnant rats.  ::rolls eyes::  I am pretty sure those results were in the ratings the cosmetic database used, and that study was...well, a big road apple ;).

Lavendark

Ummmm.....did you happen to look into the products listed under the henna? Well, I did, and there were like 84 on this site. The ones that fell in the low toxicity (1) range were LMN henna, while the higher toxicity ratings were on shampoos that contained henna in them. Pardon the pun, but you need to research a little more than "Skin Deep" to find the truth of the matter. I couldn't find a rating for the pure BAQ henna anywhere.

I would stay away from sulfates and petroleum- derived products myself. Also cones, though some people like how it makes their hair feel.

kcr

I just searched for "henna" not a product, and it returned "Lawsonia Inermis" and that is where the 5-7 rating came from--I mistakenly said 8 earlier, and I apologize.  I misremembered.  Menopause Brain strikes again.

HERE is the page.

I do not think they have body-art henna under hair products.

Lavendark

Yeah, I see what you mean by that link. I don't know about anyone else, but I found this site to be very confusing. They have four designations for henna (one was just labeled red henna) and half of them had a rating of 0. The rating for indigo was 0. Also, I noticed that at least one of the sources for the higher rating on henna was from 1965. A little outdated I would say. The biggest concerns seem to be asthma (like I was planning to smoke/inhale my henna dust), brain and nervous system disorders (those poor mice!), and allergic reaction (well, duhhh! that's always possible for any product). I think I will hunt around for a more reputable site.