not enough terp?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
heidi
not enough terp?

I as well am a hanna virgin. I made paste from a kit and it turned out ok. Not as beautiful as some of the darker recipes I've seen online, but it worked well. I decided to make my own recipe. I bought Henna powder that is advertised as all natural no chemicle hair conditioner and was told that would work fine. I put tea tree oil in it as a terp. It steeped for two days before i tried it today...and it still looks really green and doesn't look like it has oxidized at all. i tested it on the heel of my hand and it barely left a stain. Is this because my powder is no good or becuase i did not put enough tea tree oil in it? Thnx so much! :) 

Jen
Re: not enough terp?

Hair henna sold as conditioner is usually not the best quality, and it may even be cassia or other herbs if its not meant to dye hair red! And the stuff in kits sold in stores is often stale. I would try again with better henna.

I like to use about 20 ml (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon) terp per 100 g (aproximately 1 cup) henna powder.

lonelily

This is probably a really stupid question but what is a terp?

Jen

Its short for essential oils that contain skin safe monoterpene alcohols. You can read more about that here: www.hennapage.com/henna/how/terp.html

heidi

thank you so much. I believe i bought bad henna. I just purchased a new batch of supplies from the henna page web site. It should be here in the next few days i hope. For this weekend i bought a kit...and i don't think it's very good. It has mordant to mix into it and says it only takes 45 min to set before use and to use it with in 24 hours. I mixed it this morning and it's like soup. Every thing was pre measured in the kit and you just dump it into the bottle and mix it in the bottle. I don't think it's going to work and i have yet another weekend with out good henna. *sigh* The first time i did this with a kit i ordered from amerikan body art...it worked great and i did the designs beautifully!! Now i'm just getting frustrated with the inconsistancey of the different supplies i have bought. I should've just ordered from here to begin with. Sticking with it tho.