Mixture too acidic?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
KDDurrani
Mixture too acidic?

I made a mixture using the KISS method with Celebration henna, bottled lemon juice, sugar, teatree and lavendar.  It was a great stain for a couple of days then it was almost like the stain moved to the top of the skin and started to rub off.  There was only a very very faint yellow stain (if that) afterwards.  A friend of mine had this issue with her engagment henna that she got done in a salon.  I was wondering what could cause this?  Was it too much lemon juice? I wrapped and slept in the paste overnight in one instance and just let it flake off during the day for another but both had the same result in the end.

Thanks for your help!

Eliz. R.
Re: Mixture too acidic?

In the early experiments with essential oils, the additives tended to make the stain darker but also made it fade rather abruptly. The acid tends to affect the dye release and window rather than the darkness. I'm guessing, but if  you're going to do some tests, I'd start with the EO amounts.

KDDurrani

Thank you for your response!

I guess I'll play with recipes with reduced EO amounts.  

If anyone else has had this problem and can share some further insights I would greatly appreciate it!

Jen

No, terps do NOT make the stain fade faster. It COULD make the stain appear to fade more suddenly after a normal durration of the design. Terps makes the dye look darker/browner and a single thinner layer of skin, can hold enough color to look like the henna design is still fresh, but can still exfoliate completely with a single wash. Terps do not, however, limit the total lifespan of a henna design.

I would try the instructions that came with your henna. Our instructions are a little different than the "KISS" recipe used by another company.

You've probably let it stand too long. Celebration is ready to use in 6-12 hours at room temperature with NO heat applied to it.

KDDurrani

Thank you for your response. 

From what I've read on this website I went by the methods recommended.  I used lemon juice and good terps.  I saw the dye release on the tissue and didn't use any heat to speed it up.  I froze it in between when I wasn't using it and let it thaw at room temperature.  Sealed it with lemon juice and sugar then wrapped and slept in it in one case and no seal, wrap or anything in another case.

It stained amazing, like nothing I had ever tried before..and it developed color quickly.  I was under the impression that if it had started to demise it wouldn't stain well initially.  Is that not the case?

Jen

Let me make sure I understand... At first the stain was great, and developed well, but than rapidly when to yellow? That does seem odd, if that's the case. I would tend to guess that its a personal issue then! Stress, medication, illness and any skinn irritant or disorder than speeds exfoliation can cause that sort of result.

No you don't tend to see good color and proper developement of stain with demising paste.

KDDurrani

Yes, that's basically it.  It stained fantastic then after a few days the stain seemed to rise to the surface of the skin and rub off leaving just that faint yellow if any stain at all.  

I thought it was rather strange.  I suppose I'll just do some serious exfoliation prior to my next application and hope that whatever was causing it doesn't happen again :S  

Thank you so much for your time :)

ladytetsu

exfoliation a day or so in advance will definitely help - it sounds like you got wicked good stain on a fragile layer of skin.  AFTER YOUR COLOR HAS FULLY DEVELOPED, make sure to treat it gently and moisturize heavily if you like - I use Burt's Bees and various henna balms to keep that outer layer of skin supple and intact as long as possible.  The "rise to the top" you describe sounds exactly like normal weathering, just all at once and too soon.  Don't overdo the moisturizers before you get good color, or you might block the deepest tones from popping out by shielding it from oxygen.  I wait at least a day, maybe 2-3, depending on if I'm happy with my color yet.

KDDurrani

Thank you! I hadn't considered that the mosturizer might block further oxidation.  I'll make sure to wait so I get that amazing dark stain again.

I was just thinking though.  Does anyone think it might be that the stain didn't penetrate very deep to begin with for some reason?  Would anything I did have prevented deep penetration of the stain?  I'm pretty sure I didn't have any mosturizers on my skin when I applied it and I usually wash the areas of application before hand for that reason. I used a seal and wrap method in one case and nothing in the other so I don't think it relates to that either. Perhaps something else?

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input.  It's so wonderful having a place to go where I can rack the brains of people with so much henna experience and knowledge.

ladytetsu

well, in most places on the body, henna doesn't go very deep - it only hits those outer, dead layers of skin, which is thick on palms on soles and thinner elsewhere.  The thinner the layer of dead skin, the faster the fade.  It could have been almost anything that made it fade away faster - any heavy use of that part of skin, hormones, your diet recently, stress or illness - or a weird henna batch.  Try it again on the well-prepped skin and see what happens.  You may simply fade faster now and then, it happens.

And - you're welcome!  Ain't this place cool? :)

desertholly

Did you happen to exfoliate shortly before applying the henna?  It may be that you didn't leave enough "dead skin" layers for the henna to be able to penetrate deeply, thus it might have been a great but shallow stain from the start. 

I had a client a couple of months ago at a festival who had exfoliated (loofah scrub) vigorously the day before in anticipation of getting henna, and who got a patchy stain that didn't develop as well as she had expected.  Interestingly, the henna stain was lightest on the right side of her foot (she's right handed, so that would have been where she would naturally have scrubbed the hardest.)  (If I had known, I'd have advised her not to exfoliate.) I redid the design for her a couple of days later and it was much better afterward.  Not the same as your situation, but an interesting bit of information I think. 

KDDurrani

Hmm..that's interesting.  I don't think I had exfoliated in that case but it was awhile ago so I'm not too sure.  I suppose I'll have to experiment with exfoliating and not exfoliating and see how it goes.  With Eid coming up I'll be doing some henna in about a week.

Thank you, everyone, for your input :)

KDDurrani

Hello again!

I applied Some henna for Eid at the beginning of the month and had similar results as I was trying to describe before.. but this time I have pictures!

https://picasaweb.google.com/115186678975601485781/EidMehndi?authuser=0&...

I guess I would think this was normal if I haven't had prior experience with henna where it was a gradual fading of color rather than this rising to the surface, cracking, and rubbing off effect.

The areas that were exfoliated before application or have thinner skin generally seem to have less stain after the rub off.  But areas of thicker skin and non-exfolitated areas still have at least some of the rub off effect. So I don't think exfoliating or not prior to application is causing this.

Lemme know what you think!

Seryph

I get this sometimes too, but only on the palm of my hand. It also only happens to me after about five to nine days, and only if I wrap my henna over night. My hands get quite warm at night, but I can get dry skin and eczema so I guess that sometimes my henna doesn't stain as dark all the way down. I do still have colour left afterward, mostly orange which some darker sections.

Jen

This is rapid exfoliation. Your skin does not always shed at the same rate all over your body, or all your life. This is actually quite normal for many people.