Beachcombers Bottles v.s. Jacquard And Transfer paper.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maltodextrine
Beachcombers Bottles v.s. Jacquard And Transfer paper.

So for my birthday today I got an Amazon.com Giftcard. I figured because I was curious I'd go ahead and get some bottle to apply henna with as well as the cones that I already ordered. For some reasin I feel that I would be more comfortable with a metal tip than a cone but I'm willing to try both.

What I was wondering is: Has anyone here used ' Beachcombers" bottles and tips? Were they compareable to Jacquard bottles?

These are what I'm looking to get:  [edited by admin to remove link -we don't allow linking to off site products do to restrictions in our insurance coverage]

What do you think?

Also as far as transfer paper goes what should I be looking for? What is ' Thermal transfer paper'?  I don't have a lot of money so this gift card is really fun but a one time thing and I don't want to buy something that isn't going to work.

Help!

Jen
Re: Beachcombers Bottles v.s. Jacquard And Transfer paper.

Do to the long and less tapered tip of the bottles you found through beach combers, the jacquard bottles flow a little better. Personally, I don't like ANY bottles though, so I may not be a fair judge.

Thermal papar is the transfer paper that tattoo artists use. It is the best thing for transfers, and I haven't found anything else that works so well. I will advise you though, that using transfers is sure to really slow you down. It may be a better time investment in the long run to tune up your drawing skills rather than using transfers if you're going to spend a lot of time at this craft.

Maltodextrine

Thank you so much.

Ahhhh! I don't know if I should get bottles or not! I know that I'm probably going to because I am just so curious...

And about the transfers, I know that I won't be using transfers forever but for now I just wanted to get a couple sheets to play with :) many of my friends are also artists and want me to do some of their own drawings on their bodies and although I try the proportions are never quite right, so for those things I plan on using Transfers, for just plain ol' awesome henna motifes I'm cool with going freehand because the proportionality of everything is a little less important.

And thank you again for your clear answer and concern for me really practicing my skill without transfers :) I appriciate it!

Muddyshoes

Beachcombers has three types of tips. One is the standard crappy Jacquard tips that clog and corrode over time. The second is the standard Moroccan needle tip which comes in all different sizes. They are basically... tips, not very exciting.

The other tips they carry are made from surgical steel polished on the outside and the inside. The advantage is they won't rust, are nearly friction-free so they won't clog or corrode like Jacquard mechanical pencil tips do. They require less hand pressure as well and they clean up really easily.

I don't use bottles either, but I have tried out the tips because the owner is a very good friend of mine and they are local to me here in Orlando.  They also carry custom made screw on tops that are designed to screw right onto the top of standard plastic bottles and which hold these surgical steel tips.

- Muddyshoes

desertholly

Muddyshoes, good to hear from you.  So when did you switch from bottles?  Or am I thinking of Paul?  I've been away from the henna crowd for too long.  Those tips sound like they might be good for glitter tatt glue, or maybe glitter gel.  I'll have to look them up.  Especially since they're friends of yours!

Muddyshoes

I used bottles for my first gig... a for-tips event. By the time I was done that night my hands were cramped and I had more henna on me and on the table than I did on my customers. I went back to cones with the next gig.

Still, some people swear by the bottle.  And whether you're using henna or glitter gel, the Jacquard mechanical pencil tips are just awful. They were design to have graphite pencil lead go through them, no a liquid that will cause the insides of the tips to rust and corrode, and I hate it when the tip extension in the J-tip pushes in or breaks off.

I hadn't thought about glitter tat glue though. Fantastic idea!

- Muddyshoes :)

Jen

Muddy, if you're tight with them you should try to convince them to drop the chemically manipulated colored tubes of 'henna.' They are on a list of vendors I (and others I know too! I'm not alone.) recomend against despite all the wonderful BANGLES because I can't support vendors who sell manipulated crap labeled as henna.