12 or 24 hours dye release for Rajasthani Twilight?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
purplebird7
12 or 24 hours dye release for Rajasthani Twilight?

Rajasthani Twilight and amla, 12 hours dye release at 70 degrees farenheit.  Results:  light stain, nothing boldy orange.

My choices were:  Use it then or wait until the next morning? 

1.  If I used it at the 12 hour mark, I might not get full dye release.

2.  If I waited, I would run out of time to apply it that evening and would have to let it sit all night and might miss the dye release completely. 

I chose to use it after 12 hours instead of after 24, but I didn't get the darkest stain.  What should I have done?

xyz
Re: 12 or 24 hours dye release for Rajasthani Twilight?

Did you test before the 12 hours?  It might have been ready much sooner than that.  Last crop I've been using is Celebration, and mixed with amla and water, it is ready in 5-6 hours at 70 degrees. 

If you find yourself in this situation again, put your paste in the freezer.  It's usually better to do so once the paste is completely dye-released, but if the only other option is to miss the peak and risk wasting good henna, a second best choice is to "arrest" it by freezing it once it's halfway into the process (giving color and staining, but not vividly orange yet).  Then, the day you're ready to color, thaw it, check if it needs further dye-release time, and use it as soon as it gives good stain on your palm. 

purplebird7

I bet I missed it.  Does it leave a bold orange stain?  I never thought it would go so fast.    I used to do lemon and overnight, but it was too harsh on my skin.  And freezing would be a good idea if I have to leave while it's releasing and I can't watch over it.   

ACWN

Fridge is better in the case you're talking about. If you freeze henna before it dye releases, it weakens the dye slightly. Putting it in the fridge slows dye release but doesnt stop it like freezing does.