Just did my first "for hire" henna...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Frogmom
Just did my first "for hire" henna...

Well, kind of...

I donated a gift certificate for henna to a local fundraiser and it was the person who won it.  I happen to know her so it wasn't so bad, but I had a hard time keeping a steady line going, it was on her upper arm and there was a lot of movement in her skin and her arm.  I am wondering if anyone has hints for dealing with this?  I hope that I did it well enough that she will come back so I can practice on her- she is really open to the idea and I think I need that practice to get better.

Up until now, I have been doing it on myself, my 8 year old daughter and a few of her friends and it has turned out really well- today didn't look that good.  A little frustrated.

Melissa

Jen
Re: Just did my first "for hire" henna...

Try to position people in a way where they can be relaxed and remind them to concentrate on staying relaxed rather than staying still.

Make sure that your wrist and/or elbow are anchored, preferably against the client's body. That way you move WITH them if they wiggle, keeping your line straighter.

Practice draping lines. If you have good control over a draped line, its actually HARD to make a broken, bumpy line.

Play with the texture of your paste. Finding just the right mix and texture for you will help you line quality a lot.

Frogmom

Thank you so much for your suggestions Jen!

I will work on anchoring, with myself I anticipate my own body movements, and on my kids I don't feel uncomfortable about where I put my forearm, but I felt a bit like I was intruding on her space.  I will also check the textrue of my paste.  What do you use to thin it after it has already gone thru the dye release process?  I make a batch, fill carrot bags and freeze it, then I thin each carrot bag before I fill the Jacq bottle.  I am still working on finding the right thickness, and one bag varies from the others.  Can I add sugar to it at this stage?  Or should I do it when I first mix the batch- I have so much to learn! 

So my "client" sent me a photo of the henna the next day. She said she loved it and I thought it looked a lot better than I was expecting.  Gave my confidence a little boost, I know I need to just keep practicing and working on my control and technique.  I need subjects!! 

I love this forum and I am so happy I found it!

Peace,

Melissa

Jen

After the dye release is complete I usually use water to thin if I need more.

I personally mix my paste very thick for the initial dye release, cover it for 12 hours, then add the oils and the sugar. Since adding sugar will draw moisture out of the air, this will often thin the paste enough that I don't need to thin it any more! Then, I cover and let it stand another 4-12 depending on the necessary dye release for that particular henna.

If you're not quite comfortable with clients yet, you might go find yourself a nice busy place to work for tips. You'll learn a lot working for hours straight!