Anxiety with indigo

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
sandiemirelez
Anxiety with indigo

OK, I have used Henna for six months now. I am totally grey under the Henna, and the grey roots are coming out bozo orange. I posted last week and Carrie gave me some good advice, but I need to make sure I am mixing right.

I mixed BAQ Henna from Yemen 100g with amla powder 25 g and distilled water. Dye release for 12 hours. Froze mix. Thawed mix slowly. strand tested, and there isn't much color change on the grey. Its brownish orange.

So now, I have  25 g Indigo. I don't exactly know how to mix it?! Which makes me nervous, because I know you can't really get it out of your hair once you color it? Do I mix with distilled water and salt? Warm or room temp? Do a two step Henna + indigo, or mix 10% indigo into henna paste? How long do you leave it on? I usually leave my henna on 2 hours first on resistant grey, and then additional two hours on the colored length.

THANks in advance!

Carrie
Re: Anxiety with indigo

Thawing your paste slowly isn't recommended - any time it spends at room temperature, it's using up its dye lifespan. I recommend freezing the paste in a ziploc bag with the paste flattened out so it will thaw in a bowl of warm water in about 10-20 minutes. Possibly your paste was partially demised if you only got a brownish orange.

Mix indigo with warm water and, if you like, a tsp of table salt.

90% henna, 10% indigo left on for 3 hours (or 90 minutes under the dryer, same thing) looks like this on blonde hair (so it will be lighter on gray/white hair):

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=11180

A 2-step (henna followed by indigo, both full strength) gives black but you don't have enough indigo for a full strength treatment, just for a gloss, or to make a hendigo mix with. An indigo gloss will distinctly brown down the color, making it less red, more golden to medium brown depending on how long you leave it on. A hendigo mix will (depending on ratio and timing) give browner shade of red, or reddish brown, or brown.

What color do you want? That will help us advise you on what method to use.

sandiemirelez

Thanks Carrie! I am bummed to learn I probably messed up my mix. I don't have any more amla. I do however have another 100 g of Yemen Henna. I don't know whether to go on with the mix I already have, adding the indigo, or mix the other without amla. I am not being able to navigate well on the new site. But this is a post that I have kept since I have started hennaing. It is supposed to show you a pic, but I am not sure I am able to copy it right from my documents. I guess I could just copy her, but I don't know if she is grey, and it seems as though she mixed the indigo into the henna from the beginnning....

THANKS AGAIN!

Jerri's Mix

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/jerri/jerrihennaedhair.jpg

This is the 3rd time I've dyed my hair using henna from Mehandi.com and I love it!  This is the best color I've gotten yet.  This picture was taken about 2 weeks after I initially dyed it and the color is still rich and beautiful.  Henna is wonderful stuff, not like that chemical crap that dries out your hair and leaves it feeling like straw.  And the color lasts longer!

I naturally have curly, dark brown hair that comes to about my shoulders when straightened.  It's very thick, but I get by using only 100 grams of henna because I keep my consistency rather thin.  Here's my recipe:

100 grams Henna
Approximately 1 cup of red wine (heated until it's steaming)
About 1/2 cup hot water or peppermint tea (depending if I have tea available)
As much peppermint or tea trea oil as I like the smell of
A few dashes of cinnamon
A few tablespoons indigo to darked the color slightly

Sorry I'm not more precise, but my father was one of those chefs who never needed to take measurements - I suppose I inherited his ability to just season by taste.  I tend to change my recipe to what suites my fancy, as well.  Sometimes I use more or less liquid.  Play around and find a consistency that's easiest for you.  I find it easiest to apply when it's like a soupy tapioca pudding (without the pearls, of course).

After mixing this all up in a big henna soup and leaving it next to the fireplace for a night, I came back in the early afternoon and checked the dye release.  All was well, so I added a little more hot water (some of the water had evaporated over night from the henna), a little more peppermint oil, and dug in.  Fair warning to those who use peppermint oil - this stuff is strong!  If you use too much, your eyes and head may burn and/or sting in the shower as you wash the henna out!  Not to mention you'll walk about smelling like toothpaste for a few days (I learned that one the hard way).  My hands are freakishly small and don't fit into any type of glove known to man, so I just used my bare hands (not suggested if you mind having ORANGE hands for a week), but I'm an artist so I didn't care.  I got my mom to help me separate my hair into 1/2 inch strands and spread the henna all over my head from roots to ends.  When that was done, we saran wrapped my head and let it sit for 5 hours, heating it about every hour or so with a blow dryer.  Then I took a long awaited shower, shampooing gently and then conditioning to get the last flakes out, blowed dryed, and voila.   My hair is naturally rather coarse, but after the henna it feels like silk.  My hair is also straighter and stronger.  Not to mention the color is stunning.  It's a deep red wine color in the shadows and a brilliant auburn in the light.  Walking around the house looking like medusa for a few hours is well worth it!

Good luck!

Jerri's Mix

Carrie

Okay, so she has dark brown hair and I didn't see her mention any gray. Her color is pretty bright for what you'd expect with one application on dark brown hair but perhaps the flash is what's making it appear that way?

You can follow her basic recipe but I would suggest you:

*don't heat the henna

*don't add any essential oils (or at least not more than a few drops; the smell can make people nauseated or give them a headache)

*don't heat your liquid.

*Wine is okay to use but can be smelly; spices help with that but cinnamon can be irritating - try allspice, nutmeg, cloves instead.

*do NOT copy someone else's measurements of their liquid - different hennas in different degrees of humidity will need different amounts of liquid. Just add liquid slowly and see how thick it's getting before adding more. Add enough to get a mashed potato consistency, let it sit for dye release, then add more liquid until it's like creamy stirred-up yogurt.

and lastly, it's unclear when she added her indigo. If she added it at the beginning, it did exactly nothing for her color - it would be long dead by the time she applied it.

Carrie

And do wear gloves to apply it - the dye will fade from your skin in a week or two (?) but will permanently stain your nails.

sandiemirelez

OkThanks Carrie! I really appreciate all the time you have spent with me!  You didn't answer, though, should I just go ahead and use the henna with amla, which may have already lost  some of its capacity to dye? It would still make my hair soft and glossy and perhaps the indigo would dye my roots? My length is already a very beautiful auburn, much like the picture of Jerri's.

I do have 100 g of Yemen henna, not mixed up yet, I could use wine or lemon juice, and then add the indigo if you think that would be better. maybe just use the henna/amla to condition my hair at another time?

THANKS!

Carrie

You can see how much dye your henna paste has by putting a little blob on your palm (palms stain well, other skin not as much) for 5 minutes and seeing if you get an orange stain. If you do, your henna will dye your hair. If not, you can use it for conditioning only.

I would not put indigo on any unhennaed hair by itself or with "dead" henna - you'll get an ugly ashy green color that matures to a grayish blue on the gray hair.

sandiemirelez

THANKS!

sandiemirelez

Thanks Carrie!

I tried it today. The henna/amla still had dye capacity. I used 10% Indigo in the henna/amla, left it on the roots for 1.5 hour, and then the length for another hour. I got really nervous when black liquid started dripping down my neck from under the plastic, and chickened out, and rinsed it! LOL

But, the resistant greys come out with more of a brown red hue, instead of bozo orange. And my hair feels so glossy and healthy. Next time I will try for 3-4 hours.

Thanks for you time and input!

Carrie

Yay! Glad it worked for you!