pregnant friend wants henna - but i'm not comfortable

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
kasha d
pregnant friend wants henna - but i'm not comfortable

Hi,

This is my first post on these forums even though i have been using this website and it's resources for years. I do not practice henna for pay but have been personally using it as an art for myself and my close friends for over fifteen years (i'm about thirty now). I am always concerned with people's safety and the safety of my mixes as I work in healthcare and I am very aware of how sensitive people can be.

Yesterday evening a friend of mine e-mailed me and asked if i could come do some henna for her sometime soon. She is pregnant so I asked her to give me some time to look up and create a mix that would be suitable. When reading the resources on the page I noted that there were warnings not to henna women with anaemia or blood disorders. Not a year and a half ago she had acute anaemia (the kind that involved transfusions, daily shots, etc.). I shared this information with her but she dismissed the concern pretty quickly saying as long it was "all natural" it would be fine (not that my mixes ever have anything unnatrual in them).

I guess I am just looking for some opinions or assurance. I certainly never want to place anyone at risk just because they request some henna. Thanks for your help!

ACWN
Re: pregnant friend wants henna - but i'm not comfortable

I would explain to her that you're not comfortable applying henna on her because of the anemia issue she had. Explain that even though henna is all natural and your mixes would be as well, it can cause some huge issues with people with anemia. I would also link her to the information to show her.

Jen

Yep, I just wouldn't do it if you have any doubt whatsoever. 

It must have been awful hard for a 15 year old girl to learn about henna 15 years ago. It was quite a challenge for me to even find a place to buy henna and so much as a recipe 12 or 13 years ago and I was an adult and a librarian! It wasn't exactly something done in 'the West' then! I applaud your efforts.

kasha d

My father was aquainted with a man from India when I was very young and it got me facinated in the culture pretty early. There are pretty excellent specialty groceries in my city, too. I also used some pretty scary pre-made stuff I found in tubes in Toronto that I would never use again knowing things I know now. :)