Henna as part of a funeral rite

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maya Ravensong
Henna as part of a funeral rite

Odd question,

I am putting together my wishes for my funeral. No I am not at deaths door but a battle with cancer-which I won- has made me realize I needed to do this. So my question is, will henna take on a recently deceased body? I have someone I trust to do it but do not want them to go through the effort if it wont take.

Thanks,

Maya Ravensong

Jen
Re: Henna as part of a funeral rite

I don't think that there is any modern precedent for this at all. Mummys have been found with henna on their fingeritps and especially the hair. I'm not sure if it is know if henna on the fingertips was done in life or as preservation of the body.

Henna does work on leather so that's the best comparison. On leather, henna does not ever fade though, because the skin isn't being refreshed with new, clean skin cells. The henna would remain in the skin.

Maya Ravensong

Thank you for responding, I know this is a weird topic. Yes, I had thought about leather and that the stain will not fade. My concern is that leather is not *cold* and I am guessing by the time my person can do the henna on me that I will be cold. If at all possible I will have it done while I am still alive, but nearing death. But if death comes suddenly and I dont have a chance to have it done, then I wanted to know if it would take. Thank you again for responding. I am goning with that it will.

Maya Ravensong

ladytetsu

Loose crafting leather is likely at or about room temperature, which, likely, any remains will be too, except for cold storage.  Have it done shortly after passing and before remains are moved to cold storage.  It'll take!

hennabyhailey

My mother is a funeral director and I asked her the question. She said that after death the skin is still able to be stained by henna. Also she has seen henna done on someone that has passed and the henna took well.

Maya Ravensong

Wow, thank you so very very much. =) Hopefully it won't be for a very long time and I will have advance notice, but you never know. Thank you again. That was very awesome of you to hunt up the answer for me. =) -Maya

CCartwrightJones
admin

Henna stains keratin, dead or alive.  Henna stains hair, fingernails, horn, dog chews, leather, and drum heads.  Those are all keratin, and they're all pretty dead.

There are some tradions for hennaing the dead or soon-to-be dead ... it's not unheard of.  The intent is that the person wishes to enter the afterlife as a bride of her husband, lover, or as the bride of death.