Henna on Fabric

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
hennalove
Henna on Fabric

Hi all, 

I have read about using henna as a natural dye and was wondering if anyone knows the process. I think I had read something in the older forums, but since those are not available now, I am not sure how this would go about? 

I want to try painting a few scarfs with my henna patterns and firstly I want to know, what is the process? Is it, henna, then dry, then iron & scrape off or henna, let dry and scrape off, and iron it... Also I would like to know, if there are specific fabrics that take the stain better than the others and should the henna recipe be different than what one would use for body art. Also, any solutions for bleed issues?

Basically, I would like a quick training on this topic :)

Thanks! 

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)
Re: Henna on Fabric

fabric made of silk or wool will work very well.

Cotton and other natural fabrics will work also.

Use henna with no oils or sugar, apply, let dry and iron. then scrape it off.

it can be amazing on silk as the edges of the designs will be so crisp and sharp. 

hennalove

Thanks Flavia... so basically I mix my henna with just lemon juice? and should I leave it overnight for dye release before using it on the silk? 

Another idea I was thinking about was using it with a combination of silk paints... so I can first use henna and then go over it with silk paints, like jaquard... have you tried this before? 

Nicole

I would love to try this too!  The only advice I can think of not actually having done it myself, is to use natural fibres, synthetics don't tend to take dyes very well.

Please post pictures once you give it a shot!

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

you should let your henna sit for dye release before using, whatever length of time you normally think works best.

After removing the henna paste from the fabric you can use silk paints on it as well.

Blurberrybuzz

I love to henna textiles.  I do a lot of cotton.  Put some absorbant material under the layer of fabric you plan to henna.  Then apply the henna and let it dry.  Then iron it with a press cloth on the highest heat setting with a dry iron.  Flake the henna off.  Iron the fabric directly with a hot iron and watch the stain go dark.  Be careful not to scorch your fabric :)

I've got some before and afters in this set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/sets/72157623146551975/

Victoria

Nicole

What kind of mix do you use?  I want to use some leftover paste I have to do a bag I bought, but it has the normal sugar and EO's in it.  Will this make the design bleed or..?

MoonGrrrl

i checked out your link! totally cool!! i might have to give that a GO!! thanks for sharing

Jenney

Jen

Even on silk I still use a little terp, and a little sugar, but nowhere near what I use for body art.

I also leave the paste on for about a week before I peal it off.

Shivali

Jen,  When you say you leave the paste on then peel it off, do you also iron it at some point in the process?  Thanks

Jen

I iron gently after the paste has had about 3 days to dry, I peel it off at about 7 days, then iron again as soon as I get the paste off.

Shivali

This is an old post, but I'm also interested in trying this out and since no one commented I looked around online and it looks as though the answer to the question about terped paste isn't that simple.  It depends on the fabric and how much oil has been added.  If you're using silk, then it's more likely to bleed, whereas other fabrics, depending on the weave will more likely maintain the integrity of the line.  The issue with sugar is that it's likely to burn when ironing at the high temp that is apparently necessary for henna on fabric.  Mind you, these points are gathered from others' experiences shared online, but I saw them frequently enough to surmise there must be something to them.  My conclusion is that if the project is important - not just a trial run or experimentation - then make a fresh batch with nothing but lemon juice rather than risking muffing it up.

Edit:  Doh!  People *did* comment!  Well, there's another 2 cents down the drain!  :-)