Did I get a Black Henna Tattoo?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
cherrypie
Did I get a Black Henna Tattoo?

3 years ago I was on holiday and decided to get a henna tattoo. My cousin lived in the country I was visiting so took me to a professional tattoo parlour where they gave me a henna tattoo. I don't remember very clearly now but at the time I remember the substance being very thick and very dark, I am not 100% if it was black or not. It lasted for a couple of weeks but I did try very hard to keep it on my arm, e.g. wrapping it in kitchen plastic when i showered and such. The appearance of the tattoo on my arm was very very dark brown/black but faded out brown and then to redish brown. My main questions are, Does Black henna fade brown? If I didn't experience any discomfort from the tattoo when it was on my skin does this mean it wasn't black henna? If it was black henna am I still at risk? What is the chance dying my hair cause a reaction?

Kind regards

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Did I get a Black Henna Tattoo?

You probably had henna spiked with PPD.  The percentage may have been more near 15% PPD than 80% PPD.  People who have 'black henna' painted on their skin have a 10% - 50% change of reaction within the first 6 weeks.  You are still at very high risk for having a massive, life threatening allergic reaction if you use chemical hair dye.   Please read this: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/ppd/index.html

cherrypie

Thank you,

Is there any kind of tests that can be done to see if it was? I am very eager to dye my hair but will not risk it if there's a chance of reaction?

CCartwrightJones
admin

If you use henna or indigo from mehandi.com to dye your hair, you are completely safe. Your physician can test you for sensitization.

Doing a patch test with hair dye is likely to sensitize you, and is a poor predictor of whether or not you're already sensitized.