First time Henna

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jahzbuttafly
First time Henna

Hello,

I am African American and I hennaed for the first time Friday with Rajasthani 200mg, lemon juice and clove.

Background:  I had locs for 6/7 years and unloc'd and a newbie to loose natural black hair with about 10 strands of gray in the front.

I love the color, but.....I am two-toned. It is a pretty, warm reddish brown. The roots are warm brown and the rest (collar length) is black.  I plan to henna again on the 16th. Will the black blend with the rest after a few more hennas?  I love how much softer it is and it is holding moisture much better. If the color is not going to blend I may have to consider indigo :-(

Carrie
Re: First time Henna

So it sounds like your roots picked up more color from the henna than the length? that's unexpected, unless you had previously dyed your hair. Did your hair have any oil/silicone conditioning or styling product in it that could have blocked uptake on the length?

Hair that is absolute black naturally doesn't usually change color much with henna, although it reflects red light in bright sunshine, or when you're backlit you'll see it as a red halo. Darkest brown hair will show the henna color more, compared to black hair. If your hair is very dark brown rather than truly black, it's likely you can get more red tones to show with further henna applications.

jahzbuttafly

Hi Carrie,

Unfortunately, I have been using commercial dyes for so long, I am not sure what my natural hair color is anymore. I think it is a brownish black. That could be the reason why it did not bind with my length. I cannot remember the last time I dyed it, but it has been this year. As I will be henna-ing at least once a week for the conditioning properties; does that mean the henna will not bind with my length, ever? Or will it take time for the commercial dye to wear/grow out? I do not want to use indigo, because I know that is a finite and I like the reddish brown that my roots are developing into. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Also, I am going to henna my husband soon. He definitely wants black. He has been wearing locs for over 20yrs and has virgin hair. So should I mix the henna and the indigo or should I apply the henna and then the indigo.

Carrie

For you, since you like the reddish brown, I would try doing just henna some more, at least on the black part to see if it will show more color. Since it is a chemical black and not naturally black you may be able to pick up more visible red tones with repeated hennas, particularly if the chemical dye fades with time.

If you really like the reddish brown you have, re-hennaing that part several times will deepen the red tones and eventually make it somewhat burgundy-colored. If you'd like that, go for it; just be aware you won't be able to lighten back to the color it is now.

For your husband you'll need a 2-step to make his hair really black, especially if you're covering gray. What color is his hair naturally/currently?

jahzbuttafly

His natural hair is black and MOSTLY gray! I believe the henna will strengthen his locs as he is thinning terribly at the top of his head. Cutting his locs are not an option so I want to try the henna and massaging his scalp to stimulate his growth. He has very tightly coiled hair and I am trying to teach him to moisturize with aloe vera. He is doing this under duress, but I am persistent because I do not want his locs to fall out of his head. LOL.

As I purchased a kilo, I will use the henna until gone and see what happens. Thanks again for any help you can provide for my hubby.