Cajeput mixes

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jessinthedesert
Cajeput mixes

So last year I ordered the cardemom & Cajeput eo mix on the mehndi.com page and this year I find they are not there. :( I got a great color with them and wanted to just keep using what I knew worked.

Now all I'm finding is a mix with caj & 'mertyl terp'. I'm having trouble finding any info on 'mertyl terp' so, even though I highly trust the mehndi site, I am hesitant to use it. Other options are caj plus 2 other oils...2 questions:

1. does anyone recommend one over the other AND

2.  does having the caj mixed with TWO others verses just one lessen the potency of the caj?

Thanks!

Jen
Re: Cajeput mixes

Cardamom has become crazy expensive. Crazy. Its nearing $100 an ounce. So when our supply ran down, rather than raising the prices on terps through the roof, we changed the blends to keep them affordable.

Cajepute is what was really doing the work for you in that blend anyway! Cardamom is a good terp and all, but cajepute in my opinion is the very best. I would be comfortable with any terp that has a significant amount of cajepute.

When choosing terps the important thing is that it be a skin safe oil high in monoterpene alcohols. The most common for use in henna are: terpineol, geraniol, cineol, cedrol, linalool. (learn more about that here if you haven't already: www.hennapage.com/henna/how/terp.html) I'm sure you know the common list of oils that contain those monoterpene alcohols, but for any other readers they are lavender, tea tree, cajepute, niaouli, cypress, and geranium. This isn't anywhere near a comprehensive list though! I have a great book called The Illustrated Encylopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless. This book gives the natural chemical constituants of every essential oil I've ever come across. I use it to help me choose terps! My book says mertyl, for example is high in cineol, myrtenol, geraniol, and linalol. ALL those are monoterpene alcohols and so the oil will make a great terp!

I hope this helps!

jessinthedesert

Thanks for the info on the cardemom! makes sense!

That does help a little...i was mostly asking specifically about the blends offered at  this site. I was using the caj/card mix and then adding some lavendar to cut the scent. When doubling the KISS recipe, I would use 1.5 tsp of caj/card and 1.5 tsp of lavendar. Now, this year it looks like my terp containing caj would be caj plus TWO other eos- that's what's available on this site anyhow. Listed is caj/basil/myrtle, caj/coriander/lavender, caj/wild thyme/rosemary. Another option was caj/myrtle terp, but I couldnt' find any info on myrtle terp, so would tend to stay away from it. In an emergency I had a really hard time tracking down caj locally, and I would love to keep ordering from your site.

My biggest question is, do you recommend any of the terp blends at this site containing caj over another...and if I order one with 3 oils, for example, cajeput/wild thyme/rosemary, am I technically getting LESS caj than in the caj/card blend I was using last year. In which case, I would like to find another place to buy oils so I can concentrate the amount of caj more. Does that make sense?

Thanks!!

Jen

I'm afraid I don't know the exact ratio of the blends but I can tell you that I've use the caj/basil/mertyl and caj/mertyl and had fine results. I can't speak for the one with rosemary since I'm allergic. I would doubt that getting a 3 oil blend gives you less caj than before. They still smell like mostly caj to me.

Caj is good because its high in monoterpene alcohols. So are those other terps. I wouldn't worry too much about the ratio of caj in the blends as much as I'd worry about those monoterpenes. They are there in plenty!

Straight cajeput is a little harder to come by than some other oils, but if you decided to go find it straight make sure that you're using aromatherapy quality (which means there are no additives or solvents left over from the extraction) and that its not cut with a carrier oil. The former makes it not awesome for skin and the latter makes it a poor terp.

I know ~still a fuzzy answer, but its the best I've got!

jessinthedesert

Oh, no, that actually helps alot! I did find a site that says its aromatherapy but who knows what you're going to get, ya know?

Thanks so much! Appreciate it!

Jess