New person with lots of questions!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michele1
New person with lots of questions!

Hi everyone!! Just joined this site, and have already seen many helpful posts. Thank you so much for the hosts who answer questions!!

I have used the henna you can buy in a tube for previous tattoos on my arms. I was'nt aware there were ways to make the color darker, until I bought some henna powder and started looking henna up online. Thought I'd try a mix of 20 grams of powder, some sugar, some tea tree oil, and some lemon juice as a 1st try. Would adding some brewed tea or coffee make the dye even darker? I know it will take some practice to get the mix just right. Also, what texture should the mix have? I've read it should be like dough, but would'nt that be a bit thick? And would adding sugar make the mix too granular?

Any help would be appriciated!!

Jen
Re: New person with lots of questions!

No, coffee and tea won't help. Finding the peak dye release, and using good henna powder and good terps, are the best ways to get the darkest stain.

The texture of a mix is a matter of personal preference. Dough like would be way to thick for me! Sometimes you'll hear a comparison of toothepaste to good henna paste. That's too thick for me too. Yogurt or even cake batter are a better way to look at it for my preference. I like it to roll of the spoon in ribbons that sit on the surface of the paste in the bowl. If you make soap it looks a lot like "trace" in the soap making process. You should probably make up paste of different textures and see which is best for the way you work -which you feel more comfortable with.

Sugar disolves in the paste so it won't make it granual at all. In fact it makes it more smooth ans silky to work with. It also keeps it from cracking and falling off skin too early. I wouldn't advise skipping it. The ammount of sugar to add is also a matter of personal taste and climate. In more humid places paste needs less sugar, and in dry climates it needs more. Too much will be tary and never dry. Too little will crack as soon as its dry and fall right off.

Michele1

Thank you Jen! I thought the idea of dough seemed rather odd..the idea of thoothpaste-like makes much more sense. Thought I would just use Tea Tree oil as the terp since I have read it works well, and I like the scent. Does it matter how old the oil is? I have some that has been in a dark bottle and in our basement for about a year... don't know if oil gets old or not.

Thanks again!

Jen

In a dark bottle in a cool place, I bet its OK. Usually I like to use up oils within six months in a perfect world but it sounds like yours was carefully stored at least. Even if its starting to give up it won't hurt anyone though.

Tea tree is always a great choice because the Australian goverment does a good job of making sure poor quality oil is never exported. This means you can pick it up practically anywhere and be confident its good!