packing henna powder in suitcase for international travel?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
pakeezah
packing henna powder in suitcase for international travel?

Is it ok to travel with henna powder to go overseas? I cannot live without henna and I know that mehandi.com sells lab certified henna so they are the only company I trust so I want to take their henna with me.

If its a no go, is it reasonable priced to get henna mailed to Europe?

ACWN
Re: packing henna powder in suitcase for international travel?

Shipping from mehandi.com to Europe tends to be pretty pricey, thats about the only actual answer I can give. If no one else replies soon (which I doubt will happen), you can also call or write directly to mehandi.com to ask them, and you could also call and ask customs. Not entirely helpful, I know...

Jen

I've never had any trouble traveling with henna powder. Its best to put such things in checked luggage since carry ons are more scrutinized. 

xyz

I have traveled with henna and indigo powders between the USA and Latin America, and between the Caribbean and Europe.  I try my best to only take sealed packages.  I store the foil bags in transparent zipper bags so they don't appear "concealed" or "disguised" in any way.  If I have the purchase order printout, I also include that in the bag, just in case.  I've only encountered "enhanced interrogation" :-) twice in about 7 or 8 trips.  One time I had to open a baggie for the TSA, and of course, I chose one of indigo.  As soon as they sniffed it (YUCK!) they waved me through. 

I agree with Jen, checked baggage has fewer chances to be messed with.  If you take henna/indigo/amla powders in your carry on, be prepared for questions and, perhaps, swabbing of the bags and your luggage.  They might swab your hands too, as if they suspected you had been in contact with explosives. From experience, I can tell you it is very unnerving experience, but it goes quick and should not be a big deal--unless you're late to catch a flight, in which case you're screwed.  A small risk to take in order to secure great henna!