relatively new to henna, need help with grainy paste!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
heatherseason
relatively new to henna, need help with grainy paste!

Hello, I recently started doing henna and I just bought some henna powder at a local store that sells herbs, oils etc. they sell it in bulk. the last 2 batches I made from this powder turned out really grainy, not smooth and stringy like it should be. I have made pastes before with powder i got from a friend (dont know where she got it) and it turned out perfect. nice and smooth! however no matter what i do this paste is not! i waited for dye release before testing it out and added sugar to make it smoother and keep it moist but still no good. it clogs my cones and wont make nice lines, is there ANYTHING i can do to salvage this paste and make it smoother? otherwise what type of powder is best to use? please help!!!

jessinthedesert
Re: relatively new to henna, need help with grainy paste!

You might just need to sift it. Henna bought on this site comes pre-sifted (i HIGHLY reccomend it, especially above buying at a local store...you don't know how old it is or what the dye content is like) but with other henna it needs to be done.

I use a nylon. Lets see if I can explain this without a picture...take a jar or tupperware container with a tight lid. Cut off the toe of a nylon and put it inside the container, pulling the top over the edge of the jar but so the toe goes about halfway into the jar. Put some henna in, close the lid, and shake it! I learned that from this site, I'm pretty sure, so you should be able to find a better explanation and maybe even a picture! hope it helps!

Jen

Thanks Jess! And here are the photos! www.hennapage.com/henna/how/sift.html

And for anyone who has already mixed their paste, try straining instead: www.hennapage.com/henna/how/applystrain.html However, if sand is the problem, straining doesn't help much there.

heatherseason

Thanks for the advice. I did try sifting and straining, to no avail!!! I used what I could and it was useless! not only was it impossible to  make fine lines, it also left NO visible stain! I WILL NOT be buying henna from that place again. LIve and learn.

Jen

For a second I thought I remebered that this thread was about twilight and I was totally baffled! "I've been using it all summer," I thought! But then I reread the first post again... ya, that's your trouble. Not only is henna often stale enough to lose its ability to stain, often it is intended for hair and lots of chunks and grit are left in by the manufacturer. Its really not even worth while to get cheap henna for practice because using cheap henna is harder than using good stuff!