Acid for mixing

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tenaya
Acid for mixing

Why do we use lemon juice in mixing henna for body art but tea when mixing henna for hair?  Does the tea make it demise faster?

ACWN
Re: Acid for mixing

I'm coming from the hair side, buuut.... plenty of people mix their henna with lemon juice for their hair too, it just tends to be rather drying while tea is not so some people (like me) prefer something like tea or apple juice instead.

Tea will last a fair while at room temp, but it will demise much sooner than a lemon juice mix because its not as acidic. Acid keeps the dye active longer. Though I'm sure theres a bit more to it than that, but thats just what I can share from the hair side of things. :)

Tenaya

Aha, that makes sense.  So it is more about what the acid does to the skin/hair than anything else.  It takes longer to wait for the lemon, but if it lasts longer it's probably worth it because mine goes in and out of the freezer for the next half-year :).  Thanks, ACWN.

Jen

Also, henna takes to hair easier than skin. The little extra oomph that lemon juice can provide is quite helpful for both giving a deeper color on skin and for preserving the paste its self so it has a longer shelf life.

It may be a good idea to cone or bottle your henna before you freeze it. That way you can take out only what you need so it doesn't go through the freeze-thaw cycle as many times.

msjekyll

I freeze mine in ice cube trays, and thaw as needed.....

I've been using ACV for the acid. I love a deep red, should I be using lemon juice instead?

Jen

ACV and lemon have about the same pH. The biggest difference in using the two is the smell, and in body art the paste tends to be loose and have a texture I don't dig. If you're happy with it, there's no need to change.

ACWN

Just keep in mind that this post was a body art question, not hair and the rules for body art mixing are way different than for hair. I'd only replied cause I knew at least part of the answer.

Tenaya

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the feedback.  I will definitely stick to lemon juice, it makes more sense.  I am just impatient.  :)  Since I just hobby-henna myself and friends and family, I never use much at once, thus the in and out of the freezer.  I do try to make a batch, fill a bunch of small cones and freeze them all, then just take one or two out as I use them.  A little henna goes a long way, though, and even a little cone often comes in and out of the freezer a few times, since I don't like to waste it.

ACWN

I've used tea for when I've done sample sized amounts (about 3g) for my nails... and I used what was left on myself. It stained alright, but I kept having to go back over it. Granted, I wasnt really TRYING to make a body mix... but if you're just using it to fart around... get a sample amount and see how you like it mixed with a tea as your acid rather than lemon... but be sure to throw in anything else you normally might (IE terps, sugar, etc).