Cracking henna

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
daydreamer
Cracking henna

Remember if you will, I live in south Georgia, so humid is an understatement.

The henna I currently use on clients is the Rajasthani 2007. I use the KISS method to mix it up and used regular table sugar.  It would crack, but not a whole lot.  It was tolerable.  When the Raj started running low, I ordered Purity (in the never ending quest for the darkest stain possible!).

My first Purity batch, using the KISS method with regular table sugar, cracked horribly!  Used it up on myself, just so it wouldn't be wasted.

Sunday night I mixed up a new batch, this time same method but used fructose instead in hopes of NOT having cracks galore.  It helped some, but not much.  Yet another batch unfit to use on clients! (thankfully I still have some of the Raj!)

Does it need more fructose?  Should I add some honey or molassas?  Am I not getting it to the right consistancy before coning it? 

I don't know what I am doing wrong and it's frustrating me!!

Jen
Re: Cracking henna

Hennas that are not naturally stringy like a typical Raj do need more sugar. Keep experimenting by adding a little more each time. I can tell you understand what a PITA too much sugar can be! You can seal with a little lemon juice and sugar spray or light syrup for batches that aren't sweet enough to prevent cracking until you get it perfect.

LemonSugarHenna

I can't speak for humid climates as I'm in the NM high desert. I do have to use a LOT of sugar to keep the henna from cracking, it's ALOMST equal parts henna to sugar (fructose cause I haven't found dextrose locally yet) but my henna will not come off till you take it off! 

kendraw00

Yeah, I'd just add more sugar to it. it sounds like that kind of henna wants more sugar. Sometimes each batch is different. Add more until it runs off the spoon. i

Good luck! 

daydreamer

Thanks y'all!!

Amy Boehme

I am having the exact same problbem.  I am in Utah and I keep adding sugar and still get the cracking and falling off after about 20 mins on.  Right now I am experimenting with adding agave necture because it doesn't dry into a powder form like sugar.  I think I am getting closer but still having issues.  I tried karo syurup and it sticks like a mother but the stain is not very dark, I don't get that one.  I wish I could figure out why those batches are not turning out.  Maybe temp is messing with it.  Good luck and let me know if you find the magic recipe.

Amy

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

there are some climates that just need more than sugar IN the henna.

In the desert climates sugared henna won't be enough and you HAVE to use a sealant or tape to adhere the paste to the skin .

We always use our sealant on every customer , or tape.

It is the only way we can keep henna on more than 20 minutes .

If you live in the humid parts of the country you may be just fine with some sugar in the paste.

daydreamer

Well, I live in South Georgia and humid here is the norm.  And I'm talking 80% and above humidity at all times in the summer.  And I'm having serious problems keeping the Purity henna on the skin.  As soon as it dries it cracks, curls up and starts falling off. 

I'll be making another batch either tonight or tomorrow night. (depends on how I feel after getting the kids in bed)  I'm going to bump up the fructose and see if that helps this batch.

Question is, should I double the amount of fructose that I put in the second batch??

wow, I can't imagine what problems you are running into. If you mix 20 grams of henna (1/4 cup) and have been adding 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar  then doubling the sugar should work fine.

But for your humid area this is a lot of sugar.

Are you doing all this inside in air conditioned buildings where the humidity is much lower than the 80% it is outside?

this can make a big difference for you as well.

daydreamer

Yes!!!  I didn't think about that!

So then it should be fine, without doubling the fructose, if I'm using it outdoors?

I would certainly test outdoors using the KISS recipe  because it will draw moisture in from the air.

daydreamer

I'll be testing it outside today!  *crossing fingers*

Thank  you!

dyp

Have you tried mixing some Raj henna with your jamilla (purity) ? 

We have great luck mixing 1/2 Raj and 1/2 Jamilla and then using the old KISS recipe. 

In KC we have horrible humidity, the Raj gives the henna some flex without it being glued on the skin by too much sugar. 

Amy Boehme

I just tried honey in a couple of batches of 20g just a tsp of it and it is making a world of difference for me.  We have very low humidity so it might not work for you.

Amy

Seryph

I know this may be a silly question, but anyways. I live in Glasgow, Scotland and even though our summer temps never really get above about 68 - 70 degrees, at the moment we're averaging out at about 60... But the humidity is generally around 75 - 85%. That and inside the buildings its probably closer to 55 degrees. Anyways, I do tend to get cracking quite quickly, at just under an hour, is this because of the humidity (even without the heat) and even though I'm already addding sugar (I use the KISS recipe) will more help?

Jen

Dry air is what causes cracking! But as a general rule more sugar does stop cracking. 

Something about Henna Caravan's recipe... they use a sugary seal, and so they don't put nearly enough sugar in their paste for my taste as someone who does not use a sugary seal.

The best thing to do is to try adding more sugar, but be sure not to go overboard or the paste will never dry in humid weather -heat or no heat!

Seryph

Thanks Jen! I'm still getting amazing colour so I'll wait and see how the summer changes things, but I'll keep in mind about putting too much sugar in.