New to the forum! Hello!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Merridrake
New to the forum! Hello!
Hello! My name is Katie and I am new. I love of all things Mehndi started nearly 15 years ago, but I have had a long break due to ill health. I have just got back into it again, but I am having problems achieving the depth of colour from my paste. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do? My paste is currently organic henna powder, lemon juice, sugar and lavender oil for terps (as I ran out of tea tree). I am getting a very quick bright orange stain on my very fair skin, but its not going any darker. Some that was left on over night on my foot barely took at all. I would be very grateful of any advice as I am worried I am forgetting something important :) Thank you, Katie
Jen
Re: New to the forum! Hello!
Hi Katie!

Is your lavender oil fresh? How much are you using? Many people are a little too timid with how much terp they use. You can use as much as an ounce per 100 g henna powder.

Standing time is often an issue. Each brand and crop of henna will have different timing on dye release. Depending on the henna, the peak could be any where from 12 hours to 24 when left to stand at room temp.

If your health is still improving or if you're on any medications, you may not get as good of color as someone else. Grab a friend and see how the color takes on them!

It could even be your powder. "Organic" doesn't speak anything to freshness or dye content of the henna.

I hope that helps, and welcome back to hennaing!
Jen
oh! And did you remember to cover the paste with plastic wrap?
Merridrake
I think it may be my henna... I sieved it but its still blocking the tip! I have covered myself in it to see if the dye release is a bit slow. I used a good half teaspoon of lavender but I am going to go get some tea tree for next batch. Think I will buy some new henna powder... Can you point me in the direction of a good supplier? I am so grateful for all your advice... I just wanted to cry when I did all this beautiful pattern and it didn't stain! Katie x
Jen
This forum is run by the good folks at Mehandi.com. You should look there. The left side of the page is products intended for hair use, and the right side is body art goodies.
Merridrake
Thank you, I am off to check it out! :)