essential oil

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
hafsa
essential oil

Hi I have been following the forum but first time joined and posting as I have few of questions

1: I want to make my own oil blend for good henna stain, but I have no idea what  should be ratio?

do I mix all of equal amounts? if I am  mixing two then 40/60 or whatever. any help will be appreciated.

2: is there any thing like mixing oils affects the others staining capacity? for example if I mix lavender with tea tree then one will affect others capacity to stain?

3: I use KISS recipe, so any one here who use same recipe have tried using more oil then it calls for in the recipe?

please reply and thanks

Viljaana
Re: essential oil
Welcome to the forum, Hafsa!

I don't use the KISS method, but the oils should work the same way in all pastes.

There is a lot of info in the Henna Page: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/terp.html Check that out before you choose your oils.

We use the essensial oils for the sake of the monoterpenol alcohols they contain. Oils like tea tree and cajeput contain a lot of them, lavender and cardamom little less. There is a list of  several good and not-so-good oils in the link above, but you are free of experiment with others too.

The oils should not interfere with one another, so you can mix several oils if you want. You can experiment with the rations of the oils.

The mix of tea tree and lavender seems to be rather common among the henna artists. I myself use those. My mix is approximately two parts tea tree to one part lavender - just until the smell seems right. I use 5 ml (one teaspoon) of oil mix to 20 g of dry henna powder. You need to put enought oils to achieve good colour, but if you use too much, the paste won't stick to the skin. 4-7 ml of oils to 20 g of henna powder seems to be a common ratio.

I hope this helps!

hafsa

thanks Viljaana

thanks a lot , I will try out some for my self and will post my experience.

I have one more question is it ok to use organic essential oils?

Viljaana
Organic essential oils are fine - many artists make their paste only from organic ingredients. I myself use regular oils, as the organic ones are pricey.
Jen
Your only limitations with essential oils are that they be skin safe, and be high in mono terpene alcohols. The article above is a great resource. Some people do add oils that are not considered "terps" just for their scent, but they must be used in small amounts IN ADDITION TO good terps rather than instead of good terps.