Car Shows? As a Vendor

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Henna By Grace
Car Shows? As a Vendor
For those of you who do vendor booths at fairs... have you ever done a car show... do you have any tips to make it successful? Did you do extra advertizing/boards to geared for men?
Jen
Re: Car Shows? As a Vendor
I did one with henna and bombed terribly. The market is all wrong, but if your multi talented, it is perfect for face paint and airbrush tattoos!
Henna By Grace
Thank you for your info Jen.  Did you have any Henna designs on display that related to cars?
Jen
Yes I did. Especially logos. I did two men all day long, and a small handful wives, daughters, and girlfriends. The thing is that so many men don't know much about henna. I swear you'll see them lose interest as you explain! They won't have patience for the drying, the care, etc.

IME there are two kinds of people who like henna. One is the try-it-out tattoo folks, and the other is eager to experience a new culture and free hand art form. Usually I hate to make generalizations, but car enthusiasts are invested in American culture. These guys like motorcycles, baseball, and collecting coca-cola signs from the 1920's. If they like tattoos they'll have ink, and expect it to be either colorful or black. If they don't like tattoos they're not particularly interested in flirting with henna either.

Maybe these things are specific to midwestern car guys. Maybe somewhere else your luck would be different. I suspect its pretty typical though.
Jen
I also just heard from a brilliant west coast artist that she bombed money-wise at a car show this weekend. Luckily for her, she had other reasons for wanting to be there so the booth fee and time spent were not a complete waste.