New Artist here in Norther CA

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Henna By Grace
New Artist here in Norther CA
Hello everyone I thought I would say hi and introduce myself.  I am Grace and I found henna a few years ago. Ever since my daughter and I have played together with pre-made cones we found locally at the local markets.

Within the last year I started getting requests on FB for me to do henna on others willing to pay. This was after we posted many photos of a Henna spree my daughter and I had. Since then it has become something of interest in my community and It continues to expand and grow into extra income.

I love learning all about the different styles of Henna. I have been an artist all my life and I am excited to have found a medium I am very passionate about... besides paper crafting.

I am excited to meet you all and I have been looking through the forums and already found some helpful advise. I am excited to be a part of this community.

~ Grace
Viljaana
Re: New Artist here in Norther CA
Hi, Grace!

It's nice to find another new artist here. I too have done henna for two years, and have found my tiny busines this summer. My situation differs form yours as henna is relatively unkown art form here in Finland (Europe) so besides art, I have a lot of educational work to do. We don't even have the proper henna vocabulary! I blog about henna in my native language, so I've had to make my own tranlations to words like "cone", "dye release", "Gulf style" and "mature colour".

p.s. You mention of starting with pre-made cones: I asssume you have switched away from those as they may contain toxic dyes and be very dangerous if used on skin. It's always better to mix your own paste or order cones only from a reputable artist online. There are many that ship good fresh "home made" cones to U.S. and/or Europe.
Henna By Grace
Hi Viljaana,
Thank you for the welcome! Yes I played with the Premade cones with just myself and daughter till I began researching things. Now I only make my henna from BAQ henna at home with all natural products.  I made the switch before moving into starting my own business because I would hate to have anything on my child's skin or mine for that matter that was not natural. :)

That is so interesting that you have to make up your own words in your native language. You are a pioneer! I would love to see some of your work. Do you or anyone else here have henna pages on Facebook/blogs? Are we allowed to share those here?

~Grace
Gretchen
Grace, are you near Sacramento?
Henna By Grace
Gretchen, yes I am are you? I am north of there in the Yuba/Sutter area. If your around here it would be so nice to meet someone to talk henna with in person.

~Grace
Viljaana
I hardly a real pioneer as I have the online communities to support me. But some times it's difficult to bild a business here, as henna is relatively unknown. But slowly I make progress. Perhaps in some years there will be Finnish speaking henna community as well.

Viljaana