First time henna art vendor

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lennonsmom113
First time henna art vendor
Hi everyone. I'm participating in a small flea market/craft fair on the 7th. I've been doing henna on myself and friends since about 2006. It's not been something I've done for money, I did do henna on about 8 girls at my cousins baby shower a year ago... That's pretty much my experience with doing it as a merchant. I love henna- how it looks, what it means... The application process is something I very much enjoy. I'm wondering what I should charge. This is my first real vendor experience. What size henna should cost what? Please take into consideration that this is my first time as a henna vendor. Thanks in advance. -Jess
Jen
Re: First time henna art vendor
Jess, this is hard to answer because it really depends on your location, and how much you spend on your vending space. For most artists the smallest designs bottom out at $5 each. Prices are higher on the costs and in urban areas than in the midwest or plains or in rural areas. Also, where booth fees are high, you'll need higher prices to cover your costs. On top of all that, your prices should in some way reflect your skill level. If your work is amazing you should be charging more than if your work is average. Maybe I can be of more help if you tell me where you are, what you're paying for your booth, and what you're skill level is.
Lennonsmom113
Hi Jen. Thanks for responding. I'm in Long Island (ny) the flea market is in a church parking lot...the space cost 35$. My skill level... Well that, I'm not sure of. I have a very steady hand. My free hand designs are very good... I'm afraid that my application of something someone would pick from traditional designs that I would have to copy from is average.... I'd like to keep the designs simple. I guess I'd put myself definitely above average but not expert.
Jen
OK! This helps. At an inexpensive flea market, I would bring designs priced at $5-$25 that take no more than 10 minutes to do. The $5 should be simple things like a flower with a flourish, kanji, astrology signs, etc. that you can do in 2 minutes or less. The top end should be full hands with a little on the wrist too. Since this is your first time out, be prepared to change the pricing for next time! If you have a line all the way around your table all day, your prices are too low! If you have very few customers, the prices are too high, or the venue is simply not right for you.
Lennonsmom113
Thanks so much! That info is really very helpful. I'm glad it's a little venue. I get to put my skills to the test and get a small scale feel of what it's like to be a henna vendor. Thanks again for the feedback. Hopefully this weekend be fun! -Jess
Jen
Good luck, and make sure to post about how it goes!
Lennonsmom113
I definitely will!