How do I find low dye content?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
TudorLily
How do I find low dye content?
Hi! I need BAQ henna which has a low dye content but I'm not sure how you know that by reading the henna description. Is it the lawsone content and if so, should it be lower or higher? And if there is no lawsone content in the description, is there another way to know the dye content? Thanks!
Carrie
Re: How do I find low dye content?
Lower dye content means lower lawsone content. Right now Mehandi has hennas that are 2.4, 2.1, and 1.4% lawsone.  Depending on what's available on the market and meets Catherine's standards for purity, sometimes there are higher and lower lawsone contents than these.  The 1.4% lawsone ones are what you would want.

If a henna doesn't say what its independent lab-certified dye content is, it's hard to predict what amount of dye you'll get from it.  If this is a henna from Mehandi you're talking about we can try to help with that.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html
TudorLily
Hi Carrie,

I bought a packet of low lawsone henna from Mehandi and it has arrived so I'm all set to go! I just still can't seem to get a clear answer to the mix question. I have looked all over the internet and some places swear that lemon juice is the only way to go and others say it will make no difference. All I can find for sure is that boiling water should not be used, but sources differ as to whether lemon, tea or warm water should be used and the effect those mixes have.

So, my question to anyone who knows is:

What effect does lemon juice, water, tea have on the dye release time?
What effect does lemon juice, water, tea have on the final color?
What effect does lemon juice, water, tea have on the permanance of the final color (does it fade, lighten or darken over time)?

Thanks!
ACWN

The more acidic a mix, the longer it takes to dye release and the longer the dye is active once it has been released. The longer its active, the better it can bind.

A more acidic mix will start out less orange and will often take on slightly more rusty/brownish hues once oxidizes, stronger acidic mixes also sometimes seem to keep darkening little bits over time. Regardless of what you mix it with, however, it will always oxidize down to the same color in the end... it will just have different undertones.

Water is typically the least permanent, especially if its hot or boiling, but even so it wont fade out entirely. Henna binds to the keratin in your hair, which is why its so permanent.

TudorLily
Thank you so much for the info. I think I'll stick to warm water then, for now anyway. I don't want a darker or redder color than I am getting currently and I suppose that the good thing with it fading is that I don't get roots so I can rehenna all my hair each time rather than just having to do the roots. I should probably do some experiments but I have a lot of hair and I'm scared to change what I do now in case the results are very different!
HennaGal
admin
Hello There! Mehandi's lowest dye content henna will always be the Rajasthani Jasmine. They've recently gotten a new shipment of just about everything.  The highest dye content, Twilight, is currently 2.4%, the monsoon is 1.4% and the Jasmine is 0.9%.  If there is no dye content listed, then henna most likely hasn't been lab tested.
TudorLily
Yes, that was the one I bought from them, the Jasmine. I like the gentle color it gives but perhaps I need to be brave and leave it on for a little longer (I only do 20 mins) to see if the color stays for more than a few weeks!
CCartwrightJones
admin
Rely on CS at mehandi for the most up-to-date results of the henna crops we've got in.  They run tests on human hair with every batch that comes in.  Call them with questions at 1-855-MEHANDI.  They've got some amazing new hacks to get you better henna results.