Adding Amla to a Two-Step Henna / Indigo

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
TamaraM
Adding Amla to a Two-Step Henna / Indigo
I have come to the conclusion that a two-step process is what I need to get the gray coverage I need. I'd love to go back to a henndigo one-step, but the indigo always seems to fade faster than the henna, leaving me with very orangy roots and white at the hairline...ugh! Last time I ordered, I got some Amla, which I'd like to give a try. Here's what I'd like to know: I have Rajasthani Twilight, Sundina Indigo, and Amla, all from Mehandi. When do I add the Amla? Does it go in with the henna from the very beginning? I usually mix and let sit overnight. I hear Amla is acidic, so if I usually mix with lemon juice, do I eliminate that? Will dye release be faster or slower than with lemon juice? If I am doing a two-step, do I apply henna only first, then a henna/amla/indigo mix? OR Do I apply the henna/amla mix and then indigo only? What if I want to experiment with a hendigo again? Do I mix the henna and amla and let it sit, then add the indigo the next day when there's dye release OR do I just do the henna, then add the amla, then the indigo? Hope that all makes sense. Oh, I usually add a bit of salt to the indigo. Is that still okay with this new addition of the Amla? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jen
Re: Adding Amla to a Two-Step Henna / Indigo
Yes, you should add your amla to the henna portion, right at the beginning, leaving out the amla. IME this does dye release faster than a straight lemon juice mix. Its about the same as apple juice. That is 4-8 hours.

Yes, still use the salt in the indigo portion.

This will be the same for a hendigo process.

It would be my suggestion to only add amla to the first, henna only step. Indigo is so finicky that you want to mess about with it as little as possible. This is just my conclusion based on what I know. I haven't tried the different two step methods side by side or anything. Hopefully someone will offer their practical observation too.
TamaraM
Thanks, Jen. I'm assuming in the first sentence you mean "leaving out the lemon?" For this time I already did the henna with a light lemony water. It's already released as of this morning, so I'm going to mix the amla with water separately and add it to the henna. Hoping amla doesn't have any waiting period. I'm then going to apply it, and leave 5 hrs or so. Then I'll do the indigo and some salt and apply that right after rinsing the henna/amla out. I'll leave that a couple of hrs and see what happens. Now I know for the amla to mix it with the henna from the beginning. I don't have a problem with dryness, so hopefully that's the only downside to having done the lemon and added the amla after henna's dye release. Thanks! I'll report how it goes!
Sigolinde

I had your problem and fixed it as follows:

Add your amla to your henna and mix with distilled water to mashed potatoe consistency.  Wait for dye release and then spoon individual root sized applications into zip lock bags and freeze. 

Thaw one when you're ready to do a root application and add distilled water untill it's the consistency of pudding. Apply to clean damp roots, cover with plastic, cover plastic with a wool ski cap and wait at least 4 hours before rinsing it all out.  Go easy on conditioner.

When your hair is dry do the following:

Mix some henna with warm (not hot) water.  Dye release is instant to a few minutes.  Your palm stain will be weaker, but it's still effective and will keep you from going black when you add the indigo.

Mix your indigo with distilled water and add some salt.  Add this mixture to your henna.  Add distilled water until it's the consistency of pudding.  Make sure your hair is dry before applying to your roots.  Cover with plastic and then a wool ski cap.  Wait at least 3 hours before rising this out.  Again, go easy on conditioner.

No shampoo for at least 48 hours.  Mild shampoos only thereafter. 

After a year of experimenting, I found this method works for me.  I hope it works for you, as well. 

TamaraM
Wow! Some good ideas. Thanks. I travel so much for work (from hotel to hotel) that I've never been able to keep anything frozen. It's too bad, since that would make everything MUCH more convenient. It makes some sense to have the second application be more of a hendigo than straight indigo. My hair is pretty dark at this point from many 2-step processes though, so I don't worry too much about the black factor. Thanks again!
Jen
Ug, yes! Please pardon the typo! I did meant to say leaving out the lemon.
TamaraM
Everything worked out fine. I mixed the henna as I usually do, and in the morning had dye release. (The orange palm test wasn't nearly as bright as last time, don't know why.) I then mixed some Amla with plain water and mixed that into the Henna. I didn't use much. I left it on 5 or 6 hours, covered and warm of course. When I washed it out, I really didn't notice that the henna had affected the color at all at this point. Should I have? In any case, I mixed up the indigo and let that sit on my head an hour and a half or so. The final result is nice. It's not too dark or black, but no orange either. Best of all, no gray/white roots whatsoever. Yeah!