Covering grey roots using cassia

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blondie
Covering grey roots using cassia
Here's what I've tried so far: 10 tbsps of cassia, juice of 1 lemon, warm water, and jojoba oil. Let the mix sit at room temp 10 hours and then on my hair for 3.5 hrs. My hair feels nice but i still notice grey, the color hardly changed. People have mentioned citric acid powder? I would appreciate any help/input because I would hate to go back to chemical dyes. Even though my hair color was so much better with it!
ACWN
Re: Covering grey roots using cassia

Cassia's dye is very weak to begin with and with the oil, you may not be getting any uptake. Oil can sometimes inhibit uptake with gray hair. Nix the oil and leave the dye on for 5 - 6 hours. You may also be letting it sit too long with so little lemon juice and warm water. Use cold water.

You can also try adding a tiiiiiiiny amount of henna to it too. Henna, when HEAVILY diluted, produces more yellow tones which could boost cassia's weaker color. You'd want like a half to a full teaspoon (at MOST) to your full 10 tablespoons of cassia. But strand test that!

Blondie
Thanks for your input-so can I apply the oil a day after I've treated the hair, it tends to be really dry. Another question, when you say, leave the dye on 5-6 hours... You mean on my hair? Or in the bowl before applying? Also you said, 'so little lemon juice', but it was the juice of 1 lemon. Do you recommend more lemons? Or citric acid instead? You've been really helpful, I appreciate the feedback!
ACWN

You can definitely oil afterwards! Once the dye is there, there shouldn't be a problem, just remember to apply to very clean hair. And to wash your hair really well when you rinse the cassia out.

I meant leave it on your hair 5 - 6 hours, sorry.

I guess I misread the lemon part, I thought you'd said 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. My bad! Okay, so since it is a fair amount of juice you're using and you're having problems with dryness (which cassia itself can also cause)... try switching to apple (6 - 8 hours dye release). Its still acidic, but should be more gentle on the hair. You could try citric acid, but I don't know if it will really help or make things worse.

Carrie
You only need to let the paste stand that long for dye release if you are using all lemon juice. Since your liquid is less acidic than that, use a shorter standing time.  With chamomile tea I'd let it stand 4-6 hours or so, then apply to hair for 3 hours. Since you're having trouble getting the color to show,  applying for 5-6 hours sounds like a good idea.

Here is what cassia will look like on white/gray hair:  http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/megumir14/P1010288.jpg
Carrie
If that isn't enough color for you, you can use mostly cassia and just a little bit of henna and indigo.  For example, 100 gm cassia, 1 tsp henna (either add 2 tsp dye released paste that you'd previously frozen and thawed, or put 1 tsp henna powder in with the cassia powder and release them together), 1 tsp indigo for a blonde that will show up better.

If you use just 100 gm cassia and 1 tsp henna, no indigo, you'll get more of a golden yellow blonde. Adding the indigo to the cassia/henna mellows out the color so it's not as yellow.
Blondie
This mixture sounds appealing--although what liquid do you recommend to hold it all together? Will chamomile tea be too much? Or just straight water? Again, this mixture should stand for only 4-6 hours before putting on the hair for 5-6 hours--right? I'm going for a golden blonde color, ideally. Thanks again for everyone's input!
Carrie
In the mixture I mentioned using cassia, henna and indigo, I have most often used strong brewed chamomile tea that I allowed to cool completely to room temp. I put that in the cassia/henna powder and let it stand for 4-6 hours. You add the indigo after the cassia/henna has finished its standing time.  But I only left it on my hair for about 2.5 hours at most.  With just a teaspoon of henna and indigo, leaving it on longer may not change the color drastically, but I'd try using it for just 2.5 to 3 hours at first. If you don't get enough color you can leave it on longer the next time.

If you are using just cassia, then leaving it on for 5-6 hours may help you get more color (along with the other tips we mention).
Blondie
This is more clear to me now--although I think I will do a strand test WITH indigo and WITHOUT and compare the results with the community here. Right now my hair doesn't look much altered, despite two previous cassia coloring attempts, so I appreciate your advice!
ACWN

Strand testing is definitely a good idea.. and remember that you're going to want henna with the indigo. I'm not 100%, but cassia's yellow dye plus indigo's blue-gray dye without henna's orange dye..? You might not get a pretty color.