HENNA DYE RELEASED TOO LONG???

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
toot
HENNA DYE RELEASED TOO LONG???
I normally mix my henna with full lemon juice and let sit overnight. This time I didn't have much lemon juice so I used mostly water and a little lemon juice. I also accidentally made the consistency a little more watery than I normally do. It sat for well over 12hours…probably close to 20 and appears to not be red at all. It actually looks more brown now. I read some other posts that imply the dye release has gone away. Is this the case? I typically follow my henna with indigo to get my dark brown hair black. I did just test a little henna in the palm of my hand and it did stain my hand orange. does that mean it will still work? I was hoping to actually apply it in the morning instead of tonight so I can let it sit in my hair for a few hours while I run errands tomorrow and do my indigo when I get home. Or, possibly apply the henna tonight and leave it in overnight instead of the 2 hours that your instructions call for and then do my indigo in the morning. I am concerned now that it won't work now. Can someone clarify? Did I just waste my henna :-( Do I need to just go ahead and deal with the entire process tonight? I was just being lazy because its getting late and I don't feel too great :-) Any recommendations?
CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: HENNA DYE RELEASED TOO LONG???
Henna (real henna, not the chemical stuff) will not turn red as you mix it.  A brownish toned green isn't unusual.  Sounds like you're still just fine to go ahead with indigo!

Any time you need to slow or stop the dye release process, put your henna in the fridge.  Any time you need to speed up the dye release process, put your henna in the car, in the sun, and roll up the windows.

Carrie
The fact that it dyed your skin proves the dye is still alive :)  I'll second the suggestion to put it in the fridge overnight until you are ready to apply, so it stays strong.
toot
Carrie - thanks so much for your reply. So can I go ahead and put the henna on tonight and just sleep in it then complete the indigo in the morning? Or, should I just refrigerate it until tomorrow when I have time to just walk the entire process through.
toot
Catherine, thanks so much for your reply. So can I go ahead and put the henna on tonight and just sleep in it then complete the indigo in the morning? Or, should I just refrigerate it until tomorrow when I have time to just walk the entire process through.
Carrie
either way is fine.