Henna/indigo over coloured and keratined hair

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
radish
Henna/indigo over coloured and keratined hair
Hi lovely henna experts, I have never used pure henna before (had poor success with the Lush products and moved on to chemical dyes, but I'm really keen to stop with that) and am just looking for some advice. My natural hair is medium to dark brown. About five months ago I had it dyed in a salon. I *think* they put a permanent colour in, then put keratin, and then a semi-permanent colour on top of that. I haven't done anything since then so I have at least an inch of roots growing out. (I can upload a pic if this helps...) I love having red hair but I suspect mine is just too dark to get a true red with henna alone. Right now I am tossing up between: * trying to strip the colour as naturally as possible, using honey to lighten (have seen directions for these online), and then doing henna for red, or * doing henna/indigo over what I've got to go black, at least until the chemical dyes have grown out. I'm currently trying to grow my hair, so I really don't want to damage it. Any advice?
Carrie
Re: Henna/indigo over coloured and keratined hair
I would suggest you do one of two things:

1.  Dye your hair one last time with a color that's near identical to your natural medium to dark brown. Then after that, use henna forevermore.  Since your ends are close in color to the roots, you'll have less of a line of demarcation this way as your hair grows in. Using henna on medium to dark brown hair, you can get a beautiful shade of garnet red in sunshine, though it will look darker indoors.

2. Just start using henna anyway, and you'll have redder ends and darker red (garnet, etc, see above) roots.
radish
Thanks Carrie! I think I might need to dye my hair one last time, which is a little disappointing, but I can live with it. Is there a timeframe I should wait before putting henna in after chemical dyes? I will do a test dye first... I'm thinking of just doing a basic henna and lemon juice mix to start with, but any suggestions for as red/auburn as possible would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know if the henna sold through this site's shop is available in Australia? The customs laws are very strict here and I'd hate for it to be confiscated coming in... (I also have no idea how to paragraph on this site... sorry!)
CCartwrightJones
admin
We ship several orders to Australia every day, and as far as I'm aware, they all arrive.  I recommend ordering through the online chat, to make certain that we can keep your postage as low as possible.  That's  They'll also answer all your questions about how soon you can henna after a chemical dye.  I would recommend a wash or two before henna, just because I don't know what might be in their hair.  Also, yes, a test is always a good idea!
radish
Wonderful! Thanks for the tip about the online chat, I'll be sure to give it a try. As much as I'm impatient to do this, shipping time will mean I can fix my current colour and let it settle before doing the henna anyway.