Went for mahogany and got brown with orange reflections -- redye?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
11cecileb
Went for mahogany and got brown with orange reflections -- redye?
Hi! I just dyed my hair yesterday with Rainbow Henna - persian mahogany (henna - indigo mix) mixed with persian red (just henna)_ I did 1 part red and 2 parts mahogany. I really wanted a red-auburn color, and right now there are strong orange reflections! My natural hair color is really dirty blonde. I wanted it to be red for when I go home in a week, and I know henna is supposed to oxidize, so does that mean the orange reflections will turn red in a couple days? How long should I wait? What if I just redye it with the Mahogany mix? I don't want it to be DARKER, I just want it to be redder. Any advice? Thank you so much!!!
ACWN
Re: Went for mahogany and got brown with orange reflections ...

Unfortunately, since you used a premixed dye from another company... the best we can offer is "ask the company". Different companies that sell premixed dyes will have different instructions for their brand, so you can get the best possible results. Also, this forum is hosted by a company and we aren't allowed to discuss other companies' products in depth, and premixed dyes are off topic for us as well.

I would recommend using straight henna to add more red tones, but it will make it darker. It COULD (suppose to) oxidize, but it takes about a week for it to fully settle and since I'm not familiar with premixed dyes any way, s'best I can really offer. Sorry! 

HennaGal
admin
Did you mix an acidic liquid (like lemon juice) with the hennas? If there was no acid in the mix, it may fade. You could try to speed up the process with some natural lighting treatments. To get more of a mahogany color, i suggest using a high dye content henna like Mehandi's Twilight. Pure henna is a red/orange color. Deeper shades like mahogany can be achieved by leaving the henna on your hair longer and repeat applications.
ACWN
Acid is best for pure henna, however premixed brands often recommend using hot or boiling liquid to release the dyes since henna and indigo have such drastically different dye release needs. Mixing acid directly into indigo, as you would do with a premix, would pretty well kill it.