Tips for mix

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ms.Reino
Tips for mix
I am about to use henna for the first time. Any tips on the mix? My natural hair color is mousy medium brown/ dark blond. The texture is fine and very curly. Last chemical treatment was six months ago, being highlights and some older brown permanent color which has faded considerably. My ideal color would be a bright copper- red. Any suggestions? I have purchased the Ancient Sunrise.
seasiren2K13
Re: Tips for mix
I would recommend the Henna for African Hair dye released with Apple Cider Vinegar. Let dye release for 8-12 hours and then leave on your hair for 3 hours. It will give you a bright but natural coppery color. It will noticeably improve the quality of your hair too! :)
cosmetologist.lady
I'm not sure which henna you purchased, but lower-medium bye content hennas are best if you are trying to achieve more coppery shades or red. Mixing with apple cider vinegar or cranberry juice offers wonderful dye release. After mixing, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave the paste out at room temperature for 10-12 hours. Apply it very thickly to your hair and leave it on for at least 3 or more hours. Leaving the paste on your hair for a longer period of time will give you a stronger color result.
ACWN
I'd strongly advice against ACV as your acid. It works fine for dye release, but it makes henna stink to high heaven and can be really hard to handle while on your head for extended periods.
seasiren2K13
Some people don't mind the smell. If the smell is offensive to you then there certainly are other options. After doing some in depth strand testing here at Mehandi, we have found it to be a great alternative for lemon juice since lemon can be very drying. It produces a beautiful color with wonderful conditioning benefits!
ACWN

I don't doubt it, but we've had plenty of people report here on the forums - old and new - that vinegar makes henna stink pretty horribly and with it being *right there*, it can be pretty noxious. So we generally give people a heads up as to why we don't recommend it here on the forums.