Can I perm over Henna

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
HIGHLANDERGIRL61
Can I perm over Henna
I want to body wave my hair, I am using Henna for 2 years, will the perm take? should I not do the Perm? I really need help with this. Thank You!!!!!!
ACWN
Re: Can I perm over Henna

Good news is that, so long as you're using pure henna... you can safely perm your henna-ed hair! It will still damage it as per normal.

Bad news? Something about the henna causes the hair to not hold a perm very well, if at all.

So... honestly? You're really better off sleeping in large soft curlers or putting them in just after a shower and then leaving them in till your hair is fully dry. You can then style it from there with some low heat from a blow dryer.

HennaGal
admin
You can also try treating your hair with amla, rinse, then set with big rollers. It may hold a bit longer!
ACWN

Am trying out a technique to get a large curl to my hair. Will let you know at the end of tomorrow how well it works! Thinking I might need to apply a mouse or gel to my hair while its still damp in order for it to hold well all day, but will see.

ETA: Okay, so it didn't work out entirely how I was hoping. Basically what I did was I made a sock bun (old sock, cut the toes off, roll until you get a donut, put hair in ponytail, put tail through donut, pull donut to end of tail and roll hair up tightly until it hits your scalp, spread hair to cover rest of donut) with damp hair and slept in it. When I unrolled it this morning, I had the most interesting mass of curls and fluff, but when I brushed it out it all disappeared. Still had a ton of volume though, which was nice.

So, I got my hair really damp, threw in some curl enhancing mousse and threw it back into the sock bun. Its been there all day and is mostly dry. Unfortunately, it still didn't hold once it was all brushed out. Amla may be the fix for it though.