get the ball rolling....

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jdchanel
get the ball rolling....

well, i guess i'll get the ball rolling then! here by way of curlynikki's admiration for henna, i'm two years natural and i didn't do a "strand" test but i did harvest hair and use a sample as per the instructions on the hennaforhair website. for natural hair, is that enough?

i mean, don't get me wrong i did notice a significant difference: it's super soft, super strong and even the color is a bit brown. and in the light, it looks amber. however, i'm scared it wasn't enough.

any reassurance?

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: get the ball rolling....

If your hair is very dark, you won't see a lot of color difference with henna.  Henna is a translucent stain on hair.  What color are you beginning with and what color do you want to achieve?

jdchanel

thanks catherine for replying! I'm starting with a very, VERY dark brown that you would think is black but if you look close - it's not. and i'm not really doing henna for the color but more so for the conditioning properties. the color is just a plus lol! i'm just scared after doing my test on the hair that i harvested that after a few treatments my hair will be super ruby red, and i think i'm a bit too dark for that.

ACWN

What you did is still called a strand test around here, even if it isnt a strand. :)

As far as ruby red, its not likely. If your hair started out very dark brown, then its now going to get any lighter. It will appear more red in sunlight, but it wont be any lighter. What you have now, color wise, probably wont change. It might turn a little purple though. If you want to mask the color change, you can add a little indigo or buxus and amla to your henna. It will push it to a brown color.

jdchanel

purple?????? 

oh my..... well my strand test did show color difference tho. should i just take that color to be the final color that i'll receive from future henna treatments?

Carrie

If your hair isn't quite black, you may find the color builds up a bit with repeated hennas. It can start to show a bit more of the reddish tones, which on your dark hair will appear burgundy/plum/darkest auburn, but only in certain kinds of light. The color you get from henna on your hair will appear quite different in various lighting conditions. In bright sun you'll see a red/orange sparkle and richer red highlights, while under fluorescent lights it might look more burnt orange (this would be quite subtle on very dark hair), and in dimmer incandescent light it can simply look brown.

jdchanel

ok, that makes me feel a bit better lol. thanks so much!