Mixing Henna Paste

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
SimplyBeautiful...
Mixing Henna Paste
Hello,
Can I mix Henna paste with both lemon juice and water? I am a bit concerned about drying since I'm adding amla powder and organic aloe vera powder to my mixture.  I should also say that I'll be using Indigo as well.
HennaGal
admin
Re: Mixing Henna Paste
Hello there! If you're adding amla to the mix you wont need to use lemon juice. Amla is just as acidic as lemon. combining the two may dry your hair. I suggest to use either 50/50 water and lemon to mix your henna OR amla and water.  Indigo hates acid, so you'll only mix that with water.
SimplyBeautiful...
Thanks so much. I mixed my henna paste just a few minutes ago. What I did was use a little bit of ACV and mostly water. I forgot that I was adding Amla and Aloe vera when I poured some of the ACV in so I finished with water. The indigo bag is sitting in the glass bowl waiting to be mixed with the water bottle right next to it. THANKS SO MUCH! I am very excited about this, I get gray coverage AND I'm doing something good for my hair.....this is going to be an amazing journey.
HennaGal
admin
Great! Let us know how it goes =)
SimplyBeautiful...
I most certainly will. I'm taking photos of the entire process. I can't wait. I'm putting it in tonight and sleeping with it on my hair.
SimplyBeautiful...
Hi! I woke up this morning and rinsed the Henna paste out of my head. I barely slept last night because I was so excited about what I was doing. It was hard to get comfortable because instinctively I couldn't get comfortable with wet hair let alone hair full of paste. Never having done this before I wondered how my hair, especially the gray hair, would absorb the color. I purchased Henna and Indigo but decided to use only the Henna/Amla/Aloe Vera Powder mix. I thought I would never get to build my own color if I used the Indigo. By omitting that ingredient, I have an opportunity to see what my hair looks like at the basic level and decide if i like it or want to change it. When I woke up this morning I had to admit to myself, the only thing that was weird or unpleasant was the smell. To me it smelled like vitamins or vegetables. Wanting to fully experience everything, I did not consider that a deterrent. Having had the mixture in for over 10 hours, I immediately began rinsing with warm water. The paste around my hair line was hardened a bit but dissolved just fine. The rest that was completely covered by the plastic rinsed out even easier. It felt like fine sand as it slid out of my hair. I must say it felt like I was rinsing for about 20 - 30 minutes. After rinsing, I towel dried my hair and ran to the mirror to see the result. I squealed with excitement because every white hair was now a bright copper. Like a shiny new penny. It really stood out. The rest of my dark brown hair is now a beautiful dark auburn. My hair feels stronger - much stronger. It was already in good health prior to application. My curls were much more defined. It did feel a little bit dry and in need of conditioner. I grabbed my shea moisture deep treatment masque and covered my hair with it. I left the conditioner in for little over an hour and a half. After I rinsed it out, my hair was not feeling dry anymore. I used my As I Am leave in and my oil mixture (JBCO, Coconut, Olive, Argan) to seal my ends and I let it dry. My hair has body, shine, and I am more in love with my hair....so much so till I ordered more ayurvedic herbs for conditioning and oil treatments. I also bought ayurvedic shampoo bars because everything is natural and wonderfully good for my hair. I'm very happy with the results. Next treatment I will probably add a small portion of Indio to see what it'll look like.
HennaGal
admin
That's so great to hear! =)
SimplyBeautiful...
Yes it is very good. I have been loving my hair since applying the henna. It is now 4 days after my treatment and my hair still has great body and is very strong. I find that I'm losing less when I comb. I've also noticed the color is just a bit darker.  IT IS BEAUTIFUL! How long do I have to wait to perform my next Henna treatment? I'd like to use my new herbs in one paste but I don't know how soon after my henna treatment I can use them. What I'd like to know is how often can you apply the herbal paste as well? I'm trying to find the right place for the henna treatment and the herbal treatment in the regimen. I have calendar appointments on days that I should wash and treat. I don't want to miss anything.
HennaGal
admin
You can henna as often as you feel necessary.  henna does bind with the hairs keratin, so at some point there won't be free keratin left to bind with. This would make your hair very dry and stiff. Color-wise, henna will deepen each time you do your whole head. I suggest to keep up with your roots and only do your whole head occasionally.  I do my whole head every 2-6 months for a conditioning refresher. I can't be much help with the "other herbs" as i rarely play around with them.
glow worm
Hi, (to HennaGal's post...) i am wondering what happens when there is no free keratin left to bind with leading to hair becoming very dry and stiff? Does that mean eventually, when/if all keratin is bound(?) with henna, that hair will be very dry and stiff as the new norm? Just wishing to understand, not meaning to misinterpret... thanks!
SimplyBeautiful...
Hi it's me again! :) I am reading articles that suggest coconut milk is a good liquid to mix your henna powder with. Is this true? Do you have any experience with mixing Henna powder with coconut milk?
HennaGal
admin
technically, coconut milk isn't acidic enough to get the best dye release from henna. Something between 3 and 4.5 pH work wonderfully. I have heard many people add it to their henna for their own special reasons. i dont recommend it for color, but if you want to experiment, go for it.
ACWN

I cant remember exactly why but I know its not really recommended here. I think its cause its not really acidic enough.

I'm glad you love the results! Thats always great to hear! A little indigo would deepen the over all color, especially on your grays. It would also add a lil more brown tones. A second application of just henna will deepen the color without the brown.

SimplyBeautiful...
I love you guys so much! You have the best most informed answers and advice. I've decided I don't want any indigo in my hair. I want the red color in whatever tone I get it.  I will not add the coconut milk to my henna powder but I will add it to my Sukesh Ayurveda as there is no dye to release, just conditioning. I also purchased a huetiful hair steamer to give my hair a good steam treatment while the product is in my hair like I would do with my traditional conditioner. I am so happy and excited about this journey.
ACWN
Strand test the steam! When henna is exposed to really high temps (usually like those of a flat/curling iron), it can burn the henna and make it much, MUCH darker. I'm not sure if the steam will do the same, but its possible.
SimplyBeautiful...
Oh wow! Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't think it'll be too much heat but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll stick to steaming my conditioning treatments. Not doing anything other than mixing and applying my Henna has given me awesome results. I'll stick to what works.
SimplyBeautiful...
Hi There Again! I would like to mix my Henna today but not put it on my hair until tomorrow. How long can we let it sit before applying it?
ACWN
Depends what you mix it with. If you cant go until tomorrow, put it in the fridge. Cold will slow the dye release and demise. If you cant do it within a couple days, transfer it to a ziplock bag or two, mush them flat and freeze it. Frozen paste keeps about 6 months before it starts weakening. Henna in the fridge will last about a week, but its best to use or freeze it before then.
SimplyBeautiful...
Thanks! I'm trying to plan my weekend. I think I'll time it to where 12 hours hits me at 12 noon tomorrow. That way I can apply and let it sit until tomorrow evening and be done with my hair by tomorrow night. I appreciate the great education. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along.
sarika
Don't add lemon if you're adding amla. If you are using lemon for dandruff, use that a day before, not along with henna.
ACWN
Amla and lemon would definitely be too acidic for one's scalp, however lemon juice alone is a tried and true method of dye releasing henna around here and works wonderfully as it keeps the henna active for a very long time and creates a very rich color. Its a bit harsh on the hair, however, so its often recommended to dilute it some.
SimplyBeautiful...
Awesome. I will do that. Thank you