Will help me and which produts should I use?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
dbyjorge
Will help me and which produts should I use?

I want to try henna but I don’t know if it could improve the quality of my hair.  Also, I am clueless about which product I should use: henna or henna and indigo.  Here’s my background information.  I had Sisterlocks for 7 years but they had to be removed after diagnosis of alopecia from my dermatologist. My mixed gray hair is natural.  Currently, my hair is almost 1 inch long and 1/2 inch long at my temples.  My hair is dry, fragile and thin hair that grows at a snail’s pace.  I believe that I have female pattern baldness with a thin crown and temples

My hair regiment is fairly simple, maybe too simple.  I began using Rogaine for Men 4 months ago but I have not noticed any significant improvement.  I wash my hair once a week and I use Queen Helene full line of products.  Once a month, I tint my dull brown/black hair with Clairol rinse to color my gray strands.  I take keratin, collagen, and lipo-wheat supplements along with a multivitamin with iron daily.  In addition, I take auto-immune medications to manage my Cohn's disease and severe eczema.  I am allergic to propylene glycol, formaldehyde, lanolin, MCI, nickel, and textile dyes.  I realize that I have a lot of things going but I have a goal of looking my best for my son’s June 2014 wedding.

My goals are to thicken my hair until you can no longer see my scalp and/or lighten the color from brown-black to auburn to minimize the difference between my hair and scalp. HELP! 
dbyjorge
Re: Will henna help me and which produts should I use?

One more thing, my temples and hairline is 90% gray?  So this may need to be considered.

ACWN

The problem is, plant dyes cannot lighten dark hair. On your temples, you can get auburn, but on whats already naturally dark... its going to remain that dark an only gain a red shimmer in the sun.

I'm also not entirely sure that henna would thicken your hair so much that it would hide your scalp.

I wonder if maybe a lighter mix might do you better? You could get some very pretty blonde and strawberry blonde shades on your gray that would most likely blend with your scalp better... this is going on the assumption that you have fair skin, of course. It wont do anything for your hair that's already dark, but it would condition and thicken it... and if a majority of your hair is gray, it probably wouldn't look too bad.

Also, on a side note out of curiosity... you said you're using Rogaine for MEN? Any specific reason why? I'm pretty sure they have a line for women (again going on assumption here but you mentioned female pattern baldness, so..) and I think the women's version is more formulated for our hormones, which may help more.

dbyjorge

Thanks for your quick response as I am eager to get started.  So, you saying that the narrow band of gray along my hairline and my gray temples (comparable to the size of an "egg") would be auburn if I used henna.  Henna would improve the condition of my hair that could help to thicken is over time.  How would the mix of henna and indigo change the color of my hair". Would it provide better coverage for my gray hair?

To clarify, I am using Rogaine for Men upon the advise of my dermatologist at the time who is an African American doctor.  I am not comfortable with using the product and I am considering the use of Jamaican Black Castor Oil and/or Emu oil.  I feel that I may have female pattern baldness based on heredity.  What do you think?

ACWN

Henna can make your hair stronger for sure, and thicker to a point. But I'm not sure how MUCH it will help if its something going on with you biologically, hormonally. Wonderful as it is, theres only so much henna can do, y'know?

A hennigo mix would give you a shade of brown on your gray. You could also do a two step of straight henna for several hours followed by indigo for an hour or two to get a nice black cat black. Very glossy.

Oh, I couldn't even begin to guess if that's true or not! I'm definitely no doctor. I was just curious as to why you were using the Men version vs the Women version. But if you're not comfortable with it, definitely seek a second opinion!

dbyjorge
I am retired and have plenty of time to work with my hair but I am clueless about taking care of my hair at this stage of my life.  I want to try the glossy black or 2-step process.  Should I follow the instruction in the eBook titled "Henna for Hair"?  Or can you direct to instructions on this site?  How much should I buy of each?  Since I have sensitive skin, should I use diluted lemon juice or green tea?  Do you have any other recommendations?
ACWN

The instructions in the e-book are about the same as what we recommend doing, I think.

I would recommend getting the black kit - it'll give you everything you need, including instructions. You shouldn't need more than 100g of each powder for now with as short as your hair is. However, since your scalp is sensitive, I would use apple juice (dye release time of 6 - 8 hours). Its still acidic enough to help your gray hair take the dye, but it will be gentle on your scalp.

dbyjorge

If you are referring to "Ancient Sunrise Henna for Gray Hair Kit- Black", I will order it as soon as you confirm that this is the product that you are recommending. I have a few more questions.

1. How often should I apply the henna application?  

2. Should I cover the new growth (being positive) with the 2-step process or use either the indigo or henna?

3. Do you recommend the purchase of 2 kits to save on shipping costs?

I want to take this time to thank you for collaborating with me to help me discover the best henna product for me. 

ACWN

Yep, that's the one I meant!

1. As often as you like. Since you're going for black, you'll be getting the darkest color possible so its not going to get any darker on you. The awesome thing is, plant dyes are typically permanent. Once they're there, they're there for good! Since you want to make the most of the benefits, you can apply as frequently as you like.

2. Indigo will not stick without henna, so if you want to keep the black... you'll need to do a two step for your roots as they come in.

3. You definitely can if that's what you want. I recommend the kits because as far as I know, they come with gloves and everything else that you need for the first time around. You can always buy the powders by themselves (which would be Raj. Twilight (henna) and indigo) later on though. But you'll definitely want to buy gloves too - you can either get them from a store near by or order them from mehandi.com.

And you're most welcome!

dbyjorge

How can I use henna and indigo to change my graying and dull dark brown TWA (teeny-weeny afro) to a rich dark brunette color?

Should I use the fine sifted henna for African American hair or use a henna designed to cover my gray hairline?

What mix or combination of henna and indigo should I use?

Or, should I use one of the kits? If so, which kit should I use?  

Should I do the 2-step process or mix it with moisturizer?

Again, Thanks for your help

ACWN

You'd mix two parts indigo paste into one part henna paste and apply for several hours. This would make your grey dark brown and most likely turn your already dark brown black.

Recommend Raj. Twilight as its the highest dye content henna and will cover your grays best.

You can get the dark brunette kit, it will have the 2:1 ratio.

Not sure what you mean by "moisturizer". If you mean something like conditioner or an oil, no.

dbyjorge
Would I get the dark brunette color by doing a henna application first?  Wait for the color to settle in (3-4 days) and do an indigo gloss to tone the red down. Or, would I achieve this color by using the Dark Brunette kit?
ACWN
The best method would be to use the kit.
dbyjorge
Allergy to Indigo
I ordered the "Henna for Gray Dark Brunette last weekend. On Monday, a representative and I talked by phone and she suggested that I should not use indigo since I am allergic to textile dyes.  Instead, she advised me to use the kit “Henna for African Hair”.  I took your suggestion and was expecting to receive two (2) small packages of Henna and mail me a refund check.  Last night I received the original order of Henna for Gray Dark Brunette. I emailed the Help Desk but received no response or call.  I am looking forward to starting my henna experience and now I am delayed: I am disappointed in the service.