When is a refrigerated cone 'dead'?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
beelights
When is a refrigerated cone 'dead'?

Hello,

I am a newcomer to henna body art. I have experimented with making my own henna cones and they seem to be variable lol!

I store the main batch in the freezer but keep one or two cones in the fridge to use for practise. I notice that after about 5 days the fridge cones are producing henna that is no longer stringy and has turned kind of lumpy and less flexible. Is this how I tell that the henna itself (apart from its dyeing properties) has gone over?

With thanks,

Emma

seasiren2K13
Re: When is a refrigerated cone 'dead'?
For best results, store all in the freezer until you are going to use them. Defrost them one at a time. You should be able to maintain a good dye and texture for 24 hours unthawed in the refrigerator. It's ok to leave it for 48 hours, but going much longer than that you will see less dye and not an ideal texture to work with. Fresh is best!
Viljaana
Re: When is a refrigerated cone 'dead'?
Yes, this happens some times when you leave the cones in the fridge for a long time. They can also leak orange liquid when they're going bad. Henna is rather little prosessed natural product, so it doesn't keep well and might do unexpected things like form bubbles of gas or liquid or change in texture. It's perfectly normal.

When this happens varies a lot: I believe I can keep a cone in a fridge almost a week . I would never use that on a client, but on my self I could doodle something, if I don't need an excellent stain.