Aftercare and swimming

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
barefootgirl
Aftercare and swimming

I give out an aftercare sheet, which basically tells them not to wash the area for 24 hours,

I always get asked if they can go swimming(being rediculously hot here now).  I always tell them

the chlorine will kill it.  But we are near the ocean and they ask about that......Does anyone

have any input about the effects of salt water after henna?

I also was recently turned onto a new phrase to tell a newly hennaed girl:

"its like having wet nail polish, you have to wait for it to dry or it will smudge"

They actually seem to under stand it.  And it was thought of by a 4 year old girl!

Mani
Re: Aftercare and swimming

Not sure about salt water, since I'm a mountain girl, but I follow the same aftercare for swimming in fresh water that I do for bathing and showering.  Never on the same day that I do the henna.  The next day, I coat the design with a non-petroleum based water barrier which I check every half hour or so to make sure that the water is still beading off of the design.  I have tried swimming on the day that I do the design, but even with the water barrier the design never fully oxidizes.

Nicole

We have a salt water pool at our apartment with traces of chlorene.  I've been swimming most days and my henna stains still darken, and last for about a week.  Although I don't know what's going on cause I never leave my henna on for more than a few hours, or avoid water for long periods cause I'm Muslim, and we wash before we pray five times a day.  But yeah, my stains still darken after I wash off the paste with soap and water, and they stay for at least a week as long as I leave the paste on for a couple of hours or more.

(I hope that made sense :))

Blurberrybuzz

It seems to me that extended water exposure encourages exfoliation.  So any long soaks would cause the stain to demise at a faster rate than if it was not exposed.  That being said, I have four small children and am merciless with my henna.  Despite much handwashing and the lots of water exposure that comes with bathing babes and housework, my henna stains beautifully.  I try to set the expectation that the stain will be killed by water exposure though.  Sort of, under promise and over deliver...

Jen

When I henna kids that are going to swim whether I like it or not, I suggest they get a design somewhere higher on their body like a shoulder where it won't be in the water as much.

IMO exposure to chlorinated pool water, even for a few minutes, in the fist two days will keep the color from ever maturing at all. Lake water or salt water doesn't appear TOO bad, especially after the color has matured, but long term soaks in any water are not good news.

enid_zelda

I see all these experiences about henna and skin, but what about with hair?  I'd assume hair and skin are very similar, but I'm not quite ready to experiment, haha.  I recently started using henna and am growing out my chemical dye.  I'm about halfway!  But, I haven't swam in all this time, and I normally swim and/or run 5-6 days a week.  It looks like from what everyone has said that I should wait til the henna is done oxidizing to hit the pool, but what about how the henna takes on hair that is "chlorinated"?  I had experiences in the past with chemical dyes taking weird from chlorine.  Any experiences would be very helpful!

vear23

I would like to know about this effect too. Pool season is here and hoping I don't have to avoid the occassional dip.

Mani

Pool water won't effect hennaed hair the same way it does skin.  I wouldn't jump in on the same day that I henna it, but the next day and any day after should be just fine.

xyz

About henna on hair--

I live on the beach half of the year.  My hennaed hair is not affected in any way by the salt water.  It neither fails to oxidize nor fades from swimming every day.

I don't know about chlorinated water in pools--I don't go near those...or hot tubs... :-)

Tenaya

I swim laps for exercise.  Everyone's skin is different, but if I henna my hand at night, then wake up, wash the paste off, and go swimming in a chlorinated pool for an hour... it always turns out just fine.  I never even thought about it before this thread.  :)