I think I just had someone with an allergic reaction to Lavendar?!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
HennaforMorgan
I think I just had someone with an allergic reaction to Lavendar?!

So I did a Spa Day at our local Curves.  I mixed up my Jamila henna with dextrose, lemon juice, Lavendar- all from reputable suppliers from this web site.  A  little girl who was 8 wanted henna.  She had no allergy that the mother knew of.  I put a design on her wrist area , sprayed it with Frozen Stiff hair spray and sent her on her way.  About 45 mintes later the mother came to me sayng that her daughter's arm was very itchy.  I told her to wash the paste off, to which the Mum was a little reluctant, but she did.  I thought maybe she was having a little reaction to the hair spray.  They then came back and asked me if the area where the henna design was drawn should be raised.  I looked at the area and it was slightly pink and definately raised!  I had put some Olive Oil in my kit cause I read this may help so I rubbed it on the area.  The Mum was going to take the little girl home and give her a Benadryl.    I feel so bad, even had a dream that she was in the obits!!  Has anyone had any like experience?  What else could I have done?  I am going to contact Curves on Monday to see if they might know who the people were.  Darlene

Malynda
Re: I think I just had someone with an allergic reaction to ...

I am allergic to all essential oils in henna, even lavender.  The symptoms are raised, itchy welts and/or blisters directly following the line of henna.  It could also have been the lemon juice, which I also have a problem with... I've come across more people who are allergic to citrus than to essential oils.  You did the right thing by having her wash it off and she will know now to avoid essential oils.  It is a good habit to first ask each client if they have any sensitivities to citrus or essential oils before hennaing them.  Most won't, some won't know, but a few might be saved from uncomfortableness. 

HennaforMorgan

As someone who has had allergic reactions to ingredients is there something else, beside having the person wash off, I should have in my kit?  I did ask about any allergies, but how often do we know if we are allergic to EO?  Was 8 too young to henna?   I guess I'm just a little spooked right now.  I do regret not getting their phone number to be able to follow up. 

Malynda

You don't want to dispense medicine or medical advice if you are not a doctor or you could get into legal trouble, but Benedryl does work for my hive outbreaks from e.o./citrus and it probably worked for this girl.  You did right to have her wash off the henna.  This is an extremely rare occurance and the only real way to avoid it is to let people know what is in your paste and for your clients to be aware they are sensitive in the first place.  You can't guarantee both of those to work every time.  Some artists have their clients sign a "hold harmless" waiver to guard against any legal action, but again, the instances of allergies to citrus, essential oils and/or henna are all very rare.  Don't beat yourself up over this.  It wasn't your fault. 

Maggie

I agree this is really rare, in three years I've not had it happen to me. Instead of taking their number to follow up I would suggest giving them your business card, this way if their doctor wants to contact you they can. You did all that you could do, and I also agree that you can't dispense medication and the only medical advice you should give is what you know in relation to the henna. However I wouldn't entertain the thought of waivers because they actually don't hold up in a court of law, you can't sign away your right to not get injuried. Just make people aware of your ingredients and if there are problems you sound like you're pretty knowledgable as to what the source is. It's all you can do.

Nicole

In my law class, I learned that those waivers are more just to help you out should anything happen.  It would prevent some people from taking you to court in the first place, because they think they can't, and if they do end up suing, it would prove that they were informed.

That being said, could you imagine doing a festival and having everyone sign one first?  Oy!

As for dispensing medication, what about something just to relieve discomfort, like she said, she put olive oil, it's not really  medication, but just something to help until they can see a doctor or get some medication?

HennaforMorgan

I did give the lady my card as I do all the customers, so I would hope she would call me if there was a real problem.  I am also going to post a Release of Liability that states it is a temporary stain, each wearer's length of stain will vary.  I will include all the ingredients and state "To determine if they could have a reaction to Essential Oils, have they had a reaction to citrus, Ben Gay, Tiger Balm, Irish Spring ,Pine-Sol they should please refrain from getting henna."  Morgan had this at the front of one of her books that was visible to all.  Am I leaving anything out? Darlene

12sam3
Alllergic to cajeput oil?

Hello,

Lately I got an an allergic reaction from my henna paste, despite I only use natural ingedients; henna powder, lemon juice, white sugar & cajeput oil.

Is it possible that I am allergic to an igredient in the essential oil, cajeput oil? I have used 2 different expensive brands which says 100% natural and from both I got acne, but not everywere on my skin where I have done henna, only a few spots. "Fortunately" no one of my clients had an allergic reaction, I'm the only one, so that means I am very sensitive..

I have changed lemon juice from a bottle to organic lemon juice, white sugar into brown sugar and left away lemon juice and used water in stead.

Is it better to change cajeput oil into tea tree oil of lavendel oil? I liked to use cajeput oil because I read that that oil gives the darkest stains?

Please help! Despite I am the only one who was this bad reaction, I still don't want to use this recipe anymore. I only want to use a henna paste recipe which starts ok with me.

I am from The Netherlands so excuse me if my English is not so well.

Thanks in advance!!

Sam

m_moore
admin
To find out for sure, you

To find out for sure, you should contact your doctor.

Acne can come from pores being clogged and extra oil on already oily skin.

You may need to contact your dermatologist as well.

I hope this helps!