Newbie question about henna/cassia percentages

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
GayleT
Newbie question about henna/cassia percentages

Hi! I've been reading about henna for some time, and have had friends who have used henna and indigo with lovely, lovely results. I have recently decided to take the plunge!  I have very short hair. The  natural colour is a dirty or dishwater blonde, kind of dull. I have a couple of questions. If anyone could help me or offer suggestions, I would be grateful!

1. I have about 10% grey. I want to get more red than blonde; but I don't know if I should use a blend of cassia and henna, or just plain henna. I've just ordered: Henna:  Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Monsoon because I read it's more of a rose colour. Cassia: Ancient Sunrise Zehkara. I've also ordered citric acid to add to the mix.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the cassia/henna percentage? Or should I simply use henna for the colour and save the cassia for later (for conditioning)? (Yes I know the only way to see what I will actually get is to do a swatch test. I'm just looking for comments/experiences.)

2. Can I shampoo my hair afterwards? Some directions say to shampoo the henna out afterwards. However, I've read in other places not to shampoo for 2 or 3 days. I'm not using indigo, so is it okay to shampoo? If it is, what kind of shampoo? I have a ton of shampoo for color-treated hair, but can I use it after I henna my hair? With chemical dyes, you should not shampoo often, but I live in the tropics. On hot sweaty days, I want to shampoo my hair. Can I shampoo often with henna? I do use styling gel/paste, but I never use blow dryers or heat brushes. I just scrunch and go (that's why I like my hair short.)

3. How long should I leave the henna in my hair before rinsing it out? I want a rich deep colour.

I am really looking forward to working with henna!

thank you so much for any comments or suggenstions!

m_moore
admin
It depends on what color you

It depends on what color you are starting with besides the gray.

If you want a rich deep color, chances are you will only want to use Monsoon. It can take differently from head to head.  If you have dark hair, it will be more of a red tint.

You can shampoo and condition as normal with henna.  Before applying, only shampoo. Use Rainwash if you have hard water or build up on the hair: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html

You can shampoo and condition right after with out any problems.

I would recommend at least 3 hours. The longer you leave it in the deeper the color!!

Cassia is golden, but adding this to the henna wil make more strawberry blonde kind of shades.

GayleT
Thank you for responding so

Thank you for responding so quickly! Thanks so much for the information! I'll wash my hair with no trepidation, now!

I have dark blonde hair, but it is so short I never brush it, so I cannot harvest hair to do a swatch test. I've thought of doing a test on a small tuft, maybe behind my ear, to see exactly what colour I'll get. If I like it, I'll do the rest. My hair is so short, the test bit will be cut off in a month, anyway.

What will happen to Monsoon if I use apple juice or cranberry juice instead of citric acid?

I use rainwater exclusively for my household water needs. Our water is so soft I have to use (really, really diluted) fabric softner to rinse the soap from the laundry.

Also, (sorry, just occurred to me), but when I need to reapply in a month or so,  can I just henna all my hair instead of the roots? Like I said, my hair is very short. (The longest strands are maybe 2 inches, most shorter.) I get it cut every 6 to 8 weeks.

Thanks for the info on cassia. I'll have a think, and maybe do two swatches, one behind each ear, haha. At least I'll be evenly lopsided.

Ooooh, I can't wait until my henna gets here!

Have a good day!

m_moore
admin
I am sorry, I realized I

I am sorry, I realized I missed the part in the first post about your hair color!

You can definitely test behind the ear to see what the true color will be.  If you do Monsoon with apple juice, it will dye release in 4 to 6 hours instead of 8-12. If you use cranberry, it can help the red pop just a little bit.  If you do If you use citric acid, the color will be brighter than the cranberry or apple juice.

Rainwash is definitely recommended if you have Rainwash. It is a mix of powders that help remove build up, especially if you have soft or hard water.  http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html

You can just do all over, absolutely!  It will deepen the parts that have the henna on it already, but it can still blend nicely.

Post pictures on our Facebook page (if you want) when you are done!! Have a great day as well!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ancient.sunrise/

GayleT
thanks!

thanks so much for the information! I'm going to do strand tests behind my ears. I'll do the apple juice, the cranberry juice, and the citric acid. I'll let it stay in for 3 or so hours, then give it a couple of days for the colour to settle in. Then I'll do my entire head iwith the mix I prefer.  I'll definitely post pictures when I'm done.

cheers!

GayleT
Apologies for the late reply!

I am so sorry it took me so long to get back!  I love my hair with henna! Thank you so much for your help and answers. My hairdresser loves the color, and he recently told me that the condition of my hair has improved since I've been using henna. I'm only sorry it took me so long to start to use henna!

m_moore
admin
YES!! That is always

YES!! That is always fantastic =D I'm glad to read that!! No worries, life happens =]

Ina100
Henna and cassia

Hi everyone,

I used henna for the first time last week. I had a 2 cm root and colored hair (copper). Since I was worried about my curls (and a too bright color on the colored hair), I decided to go for henna+ amla(100gr henna, 25gr amla), mixed with fresh orange juice and distilled water. I kept it for 2 hours (+ 1 hour when applying). I'm very satisfied with the color of my hair, but the roots are too dark. I would like to keep my copper hair, even if I suspect it can’t be so “bright” with henna, but at least I would like it to be copper (ish)

I was thinking I can apply henna (35gr) + cassia(75gr) + amla (10gr) (and mix with fresh orange juice and distilled water) next time-  just on my roots and darker hair (that was colored just with henna for the first time).and keep it for 1 hour

My natural hair is medium light brown.

Do you think it could turn out fine? I would appreciate any suggestion. Btw…..I just LOVE henna, my hair is…..beautiful!!!! (sorry for my English, I’m Croatian)

m_moore
admin
Adding cassia is a great idea

Adding cassia is a great idea! It won't lighten the hair, but it will make the mix lighter, so it won't be as dark!
You need 25g of Amla per 100g of henna/cassia. So if you do 35g henna and 75g cassia, you will need 27.5g of the amla powder.

No need to apologize at all!