Peeling Toenails AFTER Henna

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Melissa
Peeling Toenails AFTER Henna

I had some really old paste in the freezer that I pulled out to henna my toenails with. I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything special (no terps). Just lemon juice and henna powder I bought from here a long, long time ago (probably Jamila 2005-ish?).

I didn't have any major peeling on my toenails, although I had some strange ridges and things. I thought henna would help, but now the nails on both big toes are peeling like crazy. I hennaed a couple months ago and have yet to do it again.

Next time, I'll probably terp it with teatree and make a fresh batch of henna paste. I also need to learn how to make it more even. lol. I applied it twice-scraping it off after it dried for a couple of hours and then reapplying and leaving on over night. The stain I got was wimpy, which is probably due to such old paste. 

Any ideas as to why my nails would peel after and is there anything I should do differently next time to maybe combat that?

m_moore
admin
Toe nails tend to peel when

Toe nails tend to peel when they are lacking moisture.  If you applied the paste and let it dry on the toenails, it most likely pulled the moisture out of the nail bed.  I would recommend putting plastic wrap on the nails.  You will notice a darker color on them as well by doing this.  To get rid of ridges in the nail bed, using a buffing block (you can buy them really cheap at places like Sally Beauty Supply) with smooth those out. Just buff in the shape of an "x."

Melissa
Thank you for the info. I'll

Thank you for the info. I'll definitely use plastic wrap next time. I've also seen foil used, but I think plastic wrap might work better and be more comfortable.

For a couple of days afterwards I was using an oil on my toenails, just to make them look pretty and moisturize, but I guess I need to keep up the habit.

m_moore
admin
You are welcome! Yep, either

You are welcome! Yep, either or will be good =]

Solar Oil is awesome on toenails!