How to use RHUBARB powder???

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jhenna
How to use RHUBARB powder???

My naturally chestnut brown hair is turning gray, and I've been using a number of different plant based dyes to color it. Henna alone is too red, I've had success mixing it with cassia, but now I came across rhubarb powder, which is supposed to lighten hair or give it a golden sheen. I'm just not sure how to use it??? Can I mix it with henna and cassia? Should I wait for dye release? Does it need to be boiled first? Can I mix it with lemon juice and/or chamomile tea? I've come across several other threads, but most seem to be about hair lightening.

Ideally, I would like my gray hairs to be dark blonde or brown. Strawberry blonde is okay too. If the rest of my hair is somewhat lightened in the process, I'm fine with that. I'm steering clear of indigo, because in my experience it tends to build up over time, and it left me with ugly patches of jet black hair in the past.

Ophelia
Jhenna, if you're still

Jhenna, if you're still looking for an answer (only just seen this thread) I've used rhubard powder before.

I just mixed it in with cassia (which I mixed up with camomile tea or water) I left it to dye release. Then added some honey just before using, though that's personal preference, I always added honey when I used henna too.

The rhubard did make my hair very yellowy gold, almost coppery (this could probably be adapted by changing the amount of powder you put in, but the powder itself looks very yellow/gold when you add it) 

It won't actually lighten hair, just tint blonde or white hair.

Jhenna
Thanks so much for your reply

Thanks so much for your reply, Ophelia! I was beginning to worry nobody would respond.

So it's great to know that the rhubarb will release dye, even if not boiled. I'm considering boiling it first, and then when it's cooled down mixing it with cassia and a tiny amount of henna... Any thoughts? I read on several websites that it needs to be boiled for maximum dye release...

Yellowy gold sounds perfect! I'm looking for a warm blonde shade for my gray hairs. Not bothered about coloring the rest of my hair, which is significantly darker (a few golden highlights would be nice, but just the conditioning properties are great too).

In your experience, does the dye from the rhubarb last? Or does it rinse out?

Ophelia
I think I didn't boil the

I think I didn't boil the rhubard first (I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing, it was just a fine powder) because I'd never read that you should! 

I just added it to the cassia powder because it seemed the logical way to use it :) and it turned out ok.

Maybe try it both ways? How long it lasts is hard to say as everyone's hair is so different. I know that if you use cassia a lot (like once every couple of weeks which is what I used to do) it builds up, so although people say that cassia washes out, it doesn't always if you've used it often enough. Rhubarb might be the same, but I really don't know. On my hair I'd say the combination of cassia/rhubarb made it more golden for a couple of weeks before being less apparent.

I have read on here that sometimes it's harder to get dye (whether chemical or plant dye) to take on gray hair, so you might need to do it a few times before you see a result. The henna should give it more staying power, but do be careful not to add too much if you don't want reddish rather than goldenish hair! (I've just spent a few years growing out henna, so I'm pretty cautious of it at the moment!)

Good luck! :)

Jhenna
Thanks again, Ophelia! Yes,

Thanks again, Ophelia! Yes, the rhubarb I have is also a powder (powdered rhubarb root). In the end I mixed it with some water and boiled it for about 20 minutes. I had to add extra water, because it thickened up pretty fast and started to cake to the sides of the pot, forming a solid film around the edges.

After boiling I left it to cool completely and then mixed it with my regular cassia-henna mix, which I had mixed up with chamomile tea. acv and some essential oils and left out for 2 days for dye release.

I'm still waiting for complete oxidization, but so far the color looks great! I'd say it's a little bit more golden than just cassia and henna. I did notice the mixture dripped more, I think the rhubarb powder has a very different consistency and tends to get a bit more runny. Also I think it might be a little more drying. My hair is very shiny and conditioned, as usual after hennaing, but the ends feel a tiny bit fried, which doesn't normally happen. I think the rhubarb is pretty acidic. The color did take to my grays, although I didn't think it had when I initially washed the mix from my hair. But the next day my gray roots definitely looked golden.

Can't comment yet on the staying power, as it's only been 2 days, and I only shampoo about once a month. But so far I'm very pleased with the results!

Ophelia
I'm so glad it worked for you

I'm so glad it worked for you! It will be interesting to see how long the effects last too! :)