Dark brunette greenish/henna cure time issues?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
cynderellathetica
Dark brunette greenish/henna cure time issues?

I did full head henndigo April 2013 and since then my stylist has done my roots every 4 weeks. I am severely allregic to PPD so I am committed to this solution for my gray hair. I use the Mehandi kit for gray hair.

I use 33 grams Henna, 66 grams Indigo and use about 8 grams (2-3 tablespoons) of Amla as my only acid. I let it stay on hair for 4-5 hours.

I want the results to be redder -- as it is they are greenish/goldish. Am I letting my henna cure for too long or short a time? Or using too much Amla? Or should I just decrease indigo? My stylist applies it at about 7pm. I have mixed it at 6 or 7am the same day, but also tried 9pm or 10pm the night before (so I've tried a range of 13-23 hours). I bring it in a glass jar to work with me, and then head to salon where stylist mixes in the indigo. Average temperature at home is 68 degress F and about the same at my office. 

I also want to convince my stylist to do a full head application as we have not since i started doing this 2.5 years ago. In truth, it sort of gets all over with a roots application anyway since we put a shower cap over my shoudler length hair and then a hat. It all sort of smushes together.

One other question -- I have been applying to wet hair, but is it better to apply to dry hair?

Thanks for any advice you may have! I will try to attach a picture. Generally I am happy since the gray gets covered.

AttachmentSize
Image icon hair.png318.15 KB
rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

Amla tones down the red in the henna, so switching to a different acid like apple juice would help it become brighter. Apple juice can also cut down on dye release time.

If your home is around 68 degrees, you might need a longer time for dye release as well. See page 9 for temperature and time charts. http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_7_Mixing_and_T...

Does the greenish tint fade over time? what is the overall resulting hair color? 2 parts indigo to 1 part henna should be a deep brown.

Rebecca

cynderellathetica
Thanks!

Thanks!
It's most greenish at first, and the green tint fades some, but still remains. The overall color is a medium-dark brunette.
I guess I will try apple juice and mix 20-24 hours in advance?
Any idea on whether applying to wet or dry hair is better?

m_moore
admin
You may need some Rainwash. 

You may need some Rainwash.  The green could be from minerals in the hair, or if you mix indigo with water that has minerals. Sometimes it can just have a green tint all around. http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html

cynderellathetica
Update + help! Please!

Here is what I did:

I used lemon juice AND amle instead of amla only, and he resut on my roots is way too orange now.

What does one do to get a dark brown wih reddish (not greenish, not orangish) tones?

If I used lemon juice again, but just less, would that be OK? Does the amount of acid matter -- any other liquid needed is just water.

I mixed some henna last night for my stylist to apply tonight and I used maybe 3 teasponns LEMONADE (not lemon juice) by mistake, will it be orange again?

To be safe, should I just go back to amla only so my roots will match more? How can I get that cured by 7pm tonight, if so? Place jar on heating vent?

Also, at what point is an all-over head application - rather than just roots - recommended? I want to talk to my stylist to do an all-over application, but I think she things that that will only make the variations in shades even more pronounced. I have been doing my roots only for 1.5 years...

Please help. I want tonight's application to match, cover the gray, and not be orange or green!

rchou
admin
lemon juice

Hello,

lemon juice results in the brightest (orangest) tones for the henna. I would try apple juice and no amla, like Maria suggested above. Cranberry juice is also good, especially because it has antioxidants that prevent the red from deepening too much so it stays a brighter red. an all-over application would blend the color in together so you don't have a difference at the root line. You could have your stylist at least do the roots plus last time's roots, to make sure that all matches together.

Again, using rainwash beforehand, making sure you have completely clean hair, and using distilled water for the indigo will all help to keep the green tones away.

Have a good day!