Non-Indigo Cassia formulation to cover gray?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
berrybleu
Non-Indigo Cassia formulation to cover gray?
Can anyone recommend an all natural, pre-mixed blond/strawberry Cassia formulation with good gray coverage, but without any Indigo? I'd at least like the option of trying to highlight --without the risk of green tones-- to try and blend the gray with what's left of my natural ash blond. I do look good as a red head but I'd like to wean myself off of the light auburn I got from Rainbow's strawberry blond formula (I left it in overnight), with the ultimate goal of blending any new growth. As dark as the Rainbow Strawberry came out, it barely touched the gray. I wound up going to the local beauty academy to dye the roots. I now have about 1/2 an inch of new growth and I used the Rainbow Marigold (which doesn't contain Henna) and tried to boost the chamomile tea I used with 2 Tbs each of Rosemary and Sage and approximately 1 Tbs of Catnip. The concoction I wound up with did freshen up the auburn that I had deliberately faded with Dawn and Vitamin C/Ascorbic acid; however, if anything the new growth demarcation is more obvious now. So, has anyone successfully used Lustrous Henna (Cassia blend) or Light Mountain to covers gray? If so did you need to add any herbs? I might be willing to try recreating someone else's "from scratch" recipe but it would seemd easier to start with a pre-mixed base. Thanks in advance.
rchou
admin
Cassia mixes

Hello,

I would not recommend using a pre-mixed henna/cassia dye because the result is generally not as good. to cover greys with a strawberry blond, do 4 parts ancient sunrise cassia to 1 part rajasthani twilight henna. Mix with an acidic liquid like apple juice or cranberry juice to a mashed potato consistency, let sit overnight or 8-12 hours, and apply/process for 3-6 hours.

Hope that helps! Have a good day.

Rebecca

berrybleu
I didn't mean already dye
I didn't mean already dye released, rather that the dry powders had already been measured and packaged together. I had heard that Henna and Indigo need to be dye released separately and then mixed together but I'm not interested in that combination. Does pre-mixing the Cassia and Henna powders interfere with the dye release? Is there anything besides Henna or Indigo that will improve how much the Cassia dye molecules bind with the keratin in the hair shaft? I have found conflicting information on Amla as a fixative, and I've heard that Buxus can give a greenish tint. Thanks for the input.
rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

I meant that premixed powders aren't as reliable because you can't be quite sure of the ratio or exactly what is in it. You can call our customer service at 330 673 0600 and have them advise to on exactly what ratio of cassia and henna you'll need, and what other things, if any. That way you know with certainty what you are using, and that it is all pure.

Making sure the hair is squeaky clean before dyeing, and using gentle heat can help the dye bind better, as well.

Have a great day!

Rebecca