Amla for body w/o toning down red? Also, how can I even out/blend the color?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
txmap
Amla for body w/o toning down red? Also, how can I even out/blend the color?

I used the Twilight henna on my hair last January, and loved it.  Since then, I have only done my roots a few times and one overall gloss.  I have noticed that my hair is straighter since applying the henna.

I'd like to try some amla to bring back some of my natural wave, but I've read that it tones down the red, which is not the outcome I'm looking for.  Would it make any difference to apply it first and then do a full henna treatment?  Or will it really not affect the color much?

Also, when I first used henna, I had about 2 inches of dark ashy/dishwater brown roots with maybe 20% grey, and the rest of my length was dyed blonde.  I chose Twilight b/c I was afraid the Monsoon would be too coppery on the greys and the old blonde dye job.   I loved the result, even though there was an obvious difference between the natural roots and previously dyed hair.  Now, nine months later, the old dyed length seems to have faded quite a bit to more of a strawberry blonde, and there is even more contrast between my roots and the rest of the length.   

My roots (other than the grey parts) are so dark though, that I wonder if I might get more color from the Monsoon, but again, auburn is better with my skin tone that copper, so I'm a little afraid of the Monsoon because of my greys.   I really am at a loss of how to get my dark roots to blend together better with the lighter length while the roots are growing out.    

I will try and post some pictures in case that helps...  lol  
The bright red one is full sun right after my first henna, before it had a chance to mellow.
Then I have a recent indoor light photo and some outdoor cloudy and sunny pics.  

m_moore
admin
I'm sorry, I couldn't open up

I'm sorry, I couldn't open up the pictures, but I have a pretty good idea of what you have described.

I would recommend sticking with the Twilight for sure. You can dye release your henna with an acidic liquid as usual, then add 25g of Amla for every 100g of Twilight in your mix, except do this after the henna dye releases.  This will allow you to keep your color and maintain your curls.  It is normal for henna to fade on chemically treated hair, but on natural hair, it will not fade.   I would do henna on the parts that have faded as well as on the root area, but try to keep it away from the parts that aren't lighter. You can put conditioner on the parts that you don't want the henna to darken. This will require a henna buddy.  I hope this helps!!

txmap
Thank you so much for your

Thank you so much for your advice!  This is very helpful. 

I don't know why the pics didn't work.  :-(  

m_moore
admin
Anytime ;D

Anytime ;D

I am not too sure why they didn't save =/