Bleached Hair+ Root Blending with Henna and Indigo

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
maddyrja
Bleached Hair+ Root Blending with Henna and Indigo

Hi! I died my hair with henna several years ago and absolutely loved the way it looked, but then I cut all my hair off, and have been experimenting with various chemical colors ever since (only bleached, lavender, silver etc). Now half my hair is bleached blond, while the other half is roots (light golden brown), and it's long again! Well, it's chin-length. I really want to go back to henna, both to make my hair look less weird and also to repair it (it's not seriosuly damaged, but it's been in better shape).

If I wanted my hair to look kind of mostly the same color, what ratio of indigo:henna would I need for the bleached hair? (I'm planning on putting just henna on the roots, and some hendigo combination on the blond). I want to achieve a kind of auburn-y color--the way light brown hair looks after it has been hennaed. I don't want it to be orange, and I don't want it to be dark brown, either.

PS I've been a no 'poo person for a few years, but not since the last time I hennaed; not sure if that's relevant (from the posts I've read it looks like it isn't), but I thought I might as well mention it.

Send some advice my way!

rchou
admin
Henna over Bleached Hair

Hello,

Henna works fine over bleached hair, and you can even lighten over henna too, as long as there is no indigo in the mix. you can read more about that here in chapter 10: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hennahairbook/index.html

For an auburn color, I would recommend using Rajasthani Twilight henna, dye released with Malluma Kristalovino acid. The twilight is the highest dye content for the deepest red, and Malluma kicks the color down into an auburn. There may be a little difference between your bleached hair and the roots, which will be less noticeable with repeated applications.

Henna on bleached hair does sometimes result in a brighter tone, and I've found that repeated applications does the trick, as well as putting just a bit (couple teaspoons) of indigo into the mix, to brown it out a bit more. Try just the henna first, and add indigo to your next application if you find the first dye was too bright.

As for no poo, you do want to make sure that the hair is clean of natural oils before application to make sure nothing is blocking the dye from getting into the hair. If you prefer not to shampoo, I would recommend doing a rainwash treatment before henna. This will naturally clean the hair.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html

Have a great day!

Rebecca

maddyrja
Re:Henna Over Bleached Hair

Thanks Rebecca!

So would you just suggest dyeing everything with the same dye, and blending it together on my second application? Or, perhaps I should dye the roots with the Rajasthani + just lemon juice, and dye the blonde with Rajasthani + Malluma my first time around?

rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

I would go with an all-over application first. that may actually be enough to blend everything. If not, most likely a second application will. Malluma deepens henna to a darker auburn red, and lemon juice makes henna initially very bright and coppery, but darkens much more over time. Depends on what your end goal is.

Rebecca

maddyrja
I dyed my hair! Just used all

I dyed my hair! Just used all henna+lemon juice+ a dash of the Malluma, and left it on for 4 hours. It really did blend rather well, although I'm now noticing that what used to be blond (and is now a bright red) appears to be fading already! Should I just do a second application now, even though it has only been 4 days or so since I dyed my hair? I'm thinking of re-dyeing just the bleached part with my leftover henna and a dash of indigo...

rchou
admin
There is no harm is doing

There is no harm is doing henna applications close together, but since you did a lemon juice mix, I would wait a few more days to see if the color deepens any more. Lightened hair sometimes doesn't grab henna as well, resulting in that bright red, but it may deepen enough to a point you're happy with. If not, go ahead and henna again!