My henna adventure-need advice

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
katalyna
My henna adventure-need advice

Hi,

My hair is thin with the tendency to be dry. I have a lot of gray, so I dyed it for many years (with chemicals). As it's growing pretty fast, I need to dye it almost every four weeks.

Around a month ago, a Moroccan friend gave me two bags of henna powder saying that one is 'red henna' and the other one 'black henna', and some plants who were suppose to darker the henna. But, she forgot to put labels :). So, I was telling myself that is not big deal, as I was reading that henna and indigo need to be mixed 50:50 for the color I wanted. After the first two applications (and orange roots, or coarse!) I read more about that and I tested the powders. I don't think one of them was indigo, they both stained the paper orange ... but, hopefully, in the meantime I ordered henna and indigo online and get some more informations (thanks to you!). 

So, a week ago,I prepared a paste from 100g henna with mixed lemon and orange juice and left it overnight. In the morning, when I observed dye release, I mixed 20g amla powder with warm water and added to henna and after that, I mixed 100g indigo with warm water and salt and added to the mix. I kept the dye 3 hours in my hair and washed it with shampoo (I didn't have a choice, needed to prepare for new year eve party :)).

And now...surprise...I was prepared for all scenarios, but not to turn out completely jet black! I love that all the gray (aka the orange roots) were completely covered and the color turned out even. The problem is that the roots will grow fast and black is not my favorite choice. 

I want now to get another color and I have some questions.  I would like any kind of brownish, reddish, not too dark not too light, all I want is to find a formula who will cover the grey roots and will not be different from the rest of the hair.

How long is it safe to wait between two henna applications?  I understood that some people are using it even each week, as a hair treatment.

If I skip amla for a while, I think that a 50:50 mix of henna/indigo will not make a difference. What proportion would be ideal? I plan for the next one to go for 60:40, 70:30 henna/indigo, what do you think?

I think that in my previous experience somehow the henna dye was neutralised...was it because of amla? ... I don't think I waited too much before application (10-15 min) maybe. Some ideas to avoid this in the future?

Thanks!

rchou
admin
Red-brown

Hello,

Sounds like your hair takes indigo very well! Some people have just the opposite problem.

First, I would recommend lightening out some of the indigo with a vitamin C scrub, to bring the black to more of a warm brown. Mix vitamin C powder (or crushed vitamin C chewables) with clarifying shampoo into a gritty paste, apply to damp hair, let sit for a few minutes, and rinse out with a scrubbing motion. A couple treatments of this will pull some of the indigo out of your hair.

For continuing applications, I would go with a high dye content henna (Raj. Twilight) dye released with either amla or Malluma Kristalovino to deepen, and just a small amount of indigo, like 1:3 ratio. This would result in a deep reddish brown. If you want more red tones, nix the amla.

katalyna
Thanks for your answer. I don

Thanks for your answer. I don't have vitamin C now and I already prepared my henna mix for tomorrow. I will wash my hair tonight with sodium bicarbonate and I'll use a 1:3 indigo ratio. I don't mind to be patient and make more applications to achieve a nice colour. 

From what I read, if I'm using amla alone for hair conditionning, will not affect the hair color, right?

Unfortunately, I don't live in USA so I can't order the products you are talking about, but I found (I hope) good quality henna (says it's organic). 

rchou
admin
Amla and henna

That's correct. Amla will not affect color if used on its own. However, if you are using other henna brands, I cannot be sure that any advice I give you will be correct or effective, because I won't be able to know the quality of it. There is very little standard for what "organic" or "pure" means, so any company can put that on their label. There could be other things in the henna we don't know about that affects the way it colors.

We do ship internationally, can can help you find the best shipping price if you choose to go with our products!